Upcoming diesel emission laws.

DMAX497

Sep 27, 2012
Utah
That's why you gotta be "friends" with the inspection guy.

Mine does not pass visual but she passes that ob2 test no problem! So I'm good to go.

bigjake18

Apr 2, 2013
college station, tx
LOL, yeah I know, when I was younger I had a few friends that worked at one, but no longer.

I still use a trick a buddy from high school taught me. Tint on front windows cannot be darker than 35% in Texas (or 30 cannot recall), mine is a tad lower than that, so I should fail. While tint is required to be lighter than that, I am not required to have functioning windows.

So you just roll your windows down and pull a fuse, and pass your inspection - no friend at the station required.

That's what I'm doing with my 2% tint lol

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
They have had emissions on diesel in salt lake since day one. It's really not that hard to deal with. My truck passes (legally) every year. Spend an afternoon once a year making it legal...whoopty dooo...now you know why I NEVER sell off stock parts. I have every single piece I need sitting in my garage to put my truck back to 100% stock.

X2 for me, picked up some spares in the last year cheap.....mine passes visual as does my 82. I noticed three years ago the techs were eyeing my 82 a little closer so I bought a another 82 that had all the emissions under the hood just in case, saved what I needed parted the truck made my money back and then some.

dag4566

May 7, 2009
Diesels were in fact removed from emissions testing. See Page 62 of the linked document. I am not sure if we are included in the 1 sticker program though.

Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
Chapter 114 - Control of Air Pollution From Motor Vehicles
Rule Project No. 2013-035-114-AI

Correct.

They only ones that will get tested are the ones in counties where testing is already required. The original language would have really boned everyone:

SECTION 5. Amends Sections 382.202(d) and (i), Health and Safety Code, as follows:

(i) Requires TNRCC to apply a vehicle emissions inspection and maintenance program to diesel vehicles for compliance with applicable federal emission standards, compliance with an opacity or other emissions-related standard established by TNRCC rule, or both, rather than requires TNRCC to examine the efficacy of annually inspecting diesel vehicles for compliance with applicable federal emission standards, compliance with an opacity or other emissions-related standard established by TNRCC rule, or both and to implement that inspection program if TNRCC determines the program would minimize emissions. Requires TNRCC to require annual inspections under this subsection. Authorizes TNRCC to use onboard diagnostic systems for inspections under this subsection.