Up Pipes 101

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
Neat little video, but IMHO doesn't prove much. What you would ideally like to see is a small vacuum on the other ports to help scavenge the cylinders.

Inherently a couple of brand manifolds would fail both those tests and if I get around to making a thread on the manifolds I will try to explain why.

As far as the up pipes, we always make our manifold outlets slightly smaller diameter and the up pipes slightly larger. We have checked about 20 - 30 manifolds and they seem to be pretty consistent. That being said checking them with a gasket would be the best idea.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Neat little video, but IMHO doesn't prove much. What you would ideally like to see is a small vacuum on the other ports to help scavenge the cylinders.

Inherently a couple of brand manifolds would fail both those tests and if I get around to making a thread on the manifolds I will try to explain why.

As far as the up pipes, we always make our manifold outlets slightly smaller diameter and the up pipes slightly larger. We have checked about 20 - 30 manifolds and they seem to be pretty consistent. That being said checking them with a gasket would be the best idea.

10-4, thank you for the info :D :hug:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA

I just saw this. I don't think it proves anything. Couldn't you do the same test with a stock manifold and get the same results?

830king

Oct 24, 2013
Central MN
Just got a set of these tow flows ordered with the black ceramic coating. Im gonna swap them when i swap trans....should be alot easier to do then.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk