Unsolvable vibration

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
shouldn't the faces of those teeth be worn in / polished shiny? looks flat and dull in the photos. how many miles on them?

I had the same thought too; normally I see them polished shiny but maybe that takes more miles? Probably 10k miles on this ring and pinion.

Honestly, I've never had a differential open with that few miles since rebuild. Usually I'm not pulling a cover off until at least 50k or more miles.

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
I was thinking along this line as well like possible cracked wheel too but feel those symptoms would be more constant.

Curious ly do you have aftermarket wheels and/or a leveling kit?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Have tried different sets of wheels both stock and aftermarket.

Ride height is stock, just replaced all control arm bushings and ball joints on the driver side.

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
Have you checked the pitmam arm?

A little play but not terrible. All the steering parts could probably use replacement but nothing is completely dickered loose.

And the fact that the noise stays the same when I turn the wheels and go over bumps kind of leads me away from steering, but I agree it does sound kind of like a death wobble. But, a little too high pitched?

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
Separately, all the balancing weights are in place on the driveshaft and the u-joints have about 15k miles on them; OE quality spicer units (non-greasable).

This is a regular cab truck so the driveshaft is steel and pretty short. No visible dents or damage.

Bulldogr6

Feb 18, 2012
Wester Mass
Separately, all the balancing weights are in place on the driveshaft and the u-joints have about 15k miles on them; OE quality spicer units (non-greasable).

This is a regular cab truck so the driveshaft is steel and pretty short. No visible dents or damage.
That answers my next question about wether it's a 1 or 2 price drive shaft.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Been A LOT of complaints about timkins lately. I've had guys at work bitching, I have one that started humming at 1,500 miles, another guy on here had same issue and seen it on a couple other forums.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'd like to say this is a new thing but it's not. Wheel bearing have been a crap shoot ever since the Chinese shit ones were released years ago. Seen this kinda thing happen personally and to other guys many times

MQUnlimited

Nov 16, 2016
I just bought a 08 drw and its doing the same. Cruising around 70mph, hit a bump and it will start to shake pretty bad. I don't think its worn parts as the truck only has 17k miles on it. It does have 20" wheels in 33s and a leveling kit though. My 03 2500 has 37s with a 6" lift that doesn't do that but have incognito braces on the pitman and idler and tie rod hiem conversion kit. Im thinking death wobble is occuring.

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
Transfer case fluid was fine, plenty full and I'd changed it fairly recently.

Front differential fluid was nasty and low (my fault for not checking it right when I bought the truck); refilled with new fluid and the vibration hasn't happened since. Have not changed any other parts.

I don't have time right now to pull the front diff and see what's going on, so I'm going to run it for now and put together a spare front diff in case mine decides to let go some day.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Transfer case fluid was fine, plenty full and I'd changed it fairly recently.

Front differential fluid was nasty and low (my fault for not checking it right when I bought the truck); refilled with new fluid and the vibration hasn't happened since. Have not changed any other parts.

I don't have time right now to pull the front diff and see what's going on, so I'm going to run it for now and put together a spare front diff in case mine decides to let go some day.

pull the LF cv shaft and put the stub shaft back in the hub, takes the diff completely out of the equation as long as the right side axle is not somehow still grabbing the selector collar and driving the diff.

Mass_LBZ

Aug 1, 2021
ik this is an old thread but did you ever have the problem again? or do you think it was the just the front diff out of fluid?