U.S. sues EZ Lynk for selling vehicle emissions defeat devices

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
What's sad is the EPA states this isn't an attack on racing but I would beg to differ. If you kill grassroots/amateur racing (drag, oval, road course etc) then you're killing it at the highest tier where these cars are not production any longer. An aspiring road racer isn't going to go out and spend 100k on his first car, they will start with a street car and slowly change it until they've reached all it will support.

I don't see why a middle ground cannot be reached easily as all the EPA has to do is open their damn eyes. I know I personally would be fine with a racing vehicles registry or some type of way to flag a VIN to where it can no longer be used for on road usage meaning it cannot be fitted with tags.

Reactions: MarkBroviak

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I am not a expert on EZ link, but from my understanding they can't delete emissions as configured by EZ lynk. So is the EPA trying trying to sue EZ link for what other people are doing with the Devices? I guess the EPA better start a lawsuits against Microsoft and every computer manufacturer since there software and hardware is being used to defeat emission systems all over the world.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I am not a expert on EZ link, but from my understanding they can't delete emissions as configured by EZ lynk. So is the EPA trying trying to sue EZ link for what other people are doing with the Devices? I guess the EPA better start a lawsuits against Microsoft and every computer manufacturer since there software and hardware is being used to defeat emission systems all over the world.

Right? Same could be said about various devices including one of them who already settled with the EPA and is still selling devices that allow emissions defeat to this day. It's a pretty messed up system.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I don't see why a middle ground cannot be reached easily as all the EPA has to do is open their damn eyes. I know I personally would be fine with a racing vehicles registry or some type of way to flag a VIN to where it can no longer be used for on road usage meaning it cannot be fitted with tags.
Why give them the power to do that? That would kill many races like the diffrent drag week and street classes.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Why give them the power to do that? That would kill many races like the diffrent drag week and street classes.

Because to an extent those cars running drag week are not even production cars. They're full tube chassis/billet engine cars that do not have to follow any regulation and have not had any part of them be a certified vehicle (emissions wise). I'd rather see a registry vs it going away all together. Does it suck? You bet, but at least it's something.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Article I saw focused on their forum that allowed users to discuss how to do deletes. Don't think the gov has a leg to stand on this time. Unless they go after Bosch for selling the MDI to shops too. Better yet, what about the aftermarket ecu manufactures like Holley then??

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Because to an extent those cars running drag week are not even production cars. They're full tube chassis/billet engine cars that do not have to follow any regulation and have not had any part of them be a certified vehicle (emissions wise). I'd rather see a registry vs it going away all together. Does it suck? You bet, but at least it's something.
Actually very few of them are full tube chassis cars, some are backhalfed, manu of the classes have to have factory frame rails and stock style suspension, all have to be registered and insuranced. Heck guys are running factory with bolt on's and doing 9's. The trouble is where/who drawing the line for a "safe" streetable car and where it's a it's a race only vehicle.

TDFDiesel

I'm That Guy
Jan 6, 2011
Mesa, AZ
It will be interesting to see how this plays out, they were very strategic in their business structure and we'll see how that impacts the outcome.

I think Kory's approach of contacting our legislators and trying to protect "racing" as a whole will be the best bet to protect some of the industry, but the deleted daily driver will likely be a forgotten past time in a not too distant future.

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
I don’t know this answer

but EZ link is based out of the cayman islands. Which isn’t a US territory. Is that even possibly to sue them since they aren’t even based in the US?

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
When dealing with US Gov agencies, they can drag you into court from just about anywhere if they want. Just ask El Chapo , or his wife who made the mistake of stepping foot on US soil last month. And while any good prosecutor can indite a ham sandwich, this deal is a bit different.

It's just a lawsuit, with different rules and jurisdictions coming into play. Personally I think they would have to show why they did not go after Craftsman and Snapon to since their tools can be used to remove emission parts. Or Mitchel manuals, cause they sell a book where anyone can look up how to remove an EGR valve..

Maybe a bunch of manufactures and shops should get together and crowd fund a class action suit against the EPA to settle it for all. It's gonna have to go much higher in the courts to get any resolution. If not, they will just continue to pick off of the most popular names one on one..