U Joint Failure Warranty

Mixxter61

Oct 3, 2019
In July at 289,000+/- I put new Moog greasable u-joints in my 2007 Classic with the LBZ engine and Allison 6 speed. At 297,700 while traveling about 80 mph my Duramax acted like the governor kicked in and bogged down. I pulled to the edge of the road and everything seemed fine for a moment then the low coolant indicator came on. I checked the reservoir and it was empty so I dumped a gallon of water in and could hear it coming out. Thought I had blown a hose. Luckily I was less than a 1/4 mile from home. I stayed under 20 mph and drove home. The truck sounded and drove fine. The next day when I was moving the truck to the garage, it moved about 50 feet and the drive shaft started thumping. Upon tear down, I found the front u-joint had failed. The bell housing and the coolant plate also have numerous cracks. The u-joints have a lifetime warranty against failure. The warranty also states they will repair damage caused by part failure. I just have to prove the bell housing and coolant plate damage is from the u-joint failure. Has anyone ever had this happen?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved to Driveline section.

Id bet there is small print somewhere that says if the joints werent installed at a shop, they wont cover it. But...document everything, take plenty of pictures, and get to emailing Moog.

I have always heard that you shouldnt use the greasable Ujoints on these trucks.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Moved to Driveline section.

Id bet there is small print somewhere that says if the joints werent installed at a shop, they wont cover it. But...document everything, take plenty of pictures, and get to emailing Moog.

I have always heard that you shouldnt use the greasable Ujoints on these trucks.

People claim that you shouldn't use the greasable joints for two main reasons; 1) people don't grease them properly, and 2) they aren't as strong as lube for life. IMO the greasable joint is fine. I personally prefer greasable as I like knowing there is fresh lubricant in them whether it is a better choice or not I cannot confirm, I just know that I haven't had but 2 u-joint failures between my father's and my trucks in 20yrs of proper greasing intervals. I know my daily driver/tow rig won't ever make enough power to break one in the way that lube for life eliminates.

As for installation and warranty, I cannot comment but I wouldn't be surprised if the warranty states you must re-balance the driveshaft or have installed at a certified driveline shop etc. Like Tom said, document everything and email Moog. I'm going to guess they'll tell you to get bent as you're going to have a very very difficult time proving that one as they could blame it on motor mounts causing too much flex and tweaking the rear engine cover etc.

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
We have gotten away from grease able ujoints and never looked back
We learned with our heavy equipment that the serviceable joints are weaker
Also fun fact not sure if it’s true for all joints but don’t mix the caps
Mark 1-4 and put them back where they go
Forget the reason why but I would assume it’s machined to match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Here is a pretty good video explaining the differences between sealed and greasable u-joints.

[youtube]JSPC2Toq27g[/youtube]