turning 21 first time pistol buyer

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
For a heavy weapon I feel a shoulder holster is the way to go, most comfortable and easy to pull out while seated in a car!

without a doubt! I carry my P30 in either a DeSantis leather OWB holster canted forward, or a cheapo uncle mikes IWB and luckily our trucks have big seats. right now im probably damn near or over 300lbs (NOT solid bulk muscle. more like solid bulk bacon) and i fit with my gun, spare mag, and all. That's why I can get away will carrying an almost full size handgun, the gut comes in a little handy there. that and a cover shirt.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Nice, I'm only at 175lbs so my M&P in the crossbreed iwb is about my only option if I'm just wearing a T-shirt.

Solid bacon :roflmao:

06_6.6

Haulin Assphalt
Sep 3, 2012
Indian Territory
Check out aliengear holsters while you're at it. Hybrid iwb leather w/kydex shell. Looking at $35-$40 depending on leather. Only drawback is wait time, about 4-6 weeks but it's worth it. They sit in the sob area.

Sent from the land of teepee's and buffaloes

hotdogstand

May 27, 2013
Norfolk, VA
I have a Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm that I love. It holds 17 rounds and shoots really smoothly. I shoot a Beretta M9 at work, but it is large and unwieldy and I wouldn't want one for daily use.

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
I have a Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm that I love. It holds 17 rounds and shoots really smoothly. I shoot a Beretta M9 at work, but it is large and unwieldy and I wouldn't want one for daily use.

Agreed. I absolutely LOVE the M9 but would never want to attempt to conceal it. I personally love it as an open carry gun. I plan to pick one up very soon actually. Thanks for reminding me! :thumb:

dirtracer347

May 23, 2014
Ky
I have a Ruger sr9. Good price for a great shooting gun. If I wanted a higher end gun would have to go with a 1911 for sure. Best thing to do is hold the ones you like and get a feel for it.

I agree. I take my sr9c with me everywhere I go. It's the most accurate pistol I've ever shot and most anyone can pick it up and shoot very accurate with it. Not too bad to conceal either. Great bang for the buck.

My hands down favorite ccw is the 380 bodyguard. But I've been looking at getting a bigger s&w 40 shield to carry. Like others said shoot as many as you can before buying, and don't buy one simply because it's flashy or looks good.

Duramax52513

Jun 23, 2013
I have a smith&wesson M&P 9mm compact and I love it, I turned 21 a year ago and was in the same boat as you. I went to the local gun store and shot a few guns but after shooting them and holding them the M&P was the way to go. It's heavy for being so small but just by holding it you can tell its a quality made gun, and hey idk about anywhere else but in delaware that's what all the police carry so that speaks for itself to me.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I love 1911s for just a handgun to have. I carry and regularly shoot a S&W M&P 9mm fullsize. 17+1 and with a little polishing/trigger work its a great gun to shoot.

My wife has an XD fullsize and LCP

My hands down favorite ccw is the 380 bodyguard. But I've been looking at getting a bigger s&w 40 shield to carry. Like others said shoot as many as you can before buying, and don't buy one simply because it's flashy or looks good.

Really? I like my Bodyguard, but damn that trigger pull. Its the only pistol I kind of regret buying, but thats more because the Shield came out a few months latter. Never shot a Shield though so I might not like it too though.

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
hey guys im gonna be turning 21 this month, and im looking forward to buying my first pistol. I have never really looked into them before, and I was wanting some opinions on a good buy. what are some that everyone likes/dislikes?

What do you want to do with it? You gonna' plink with it, shoot tin cans, hunt, shoot paper targets, use it for concealed carry, home defense? My first handgun was a 10" 44Mag and I started shooting handgun silhouette. But that's not what most people would want to be doing. For a first piece get something you'll enjoy shooting, then shoot it a lot and learn to be comfortable handling a gun. The 22lr is fun but unfortunately ammunition is near impossible to get at this time. The 1911 is a great gun I've had many and love 'em. But I'd recommend a 357 revolver with 4-6" barrel.....mine's a 686 S&W (there are many other good ones). Shoot .38 special which has very light recoil and is inexpensive, or 357mag which is more powerful and more fun, also louder and with more recoil.

Last edited:

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I shot a Walther PPQ 9mm today, pretty sweet gun, might not be a bad first firearm.

But as far as learning and cleaning go, it's tough to beat the simplicity of the Springfield XDM series, they're a breeze to clean and shoot.
IMO
Simplicity, superb engineering and execution of the two into the product at it's finest. YES, there are "finer" firearms out there, but the XDM's offer so much in an attainable fashion, you really get more than you pay for, again, IMO...

True 1911's are good too, "foolproof" safety system of a simple design, nice crisp trigger pull and fairly easy to disassemble clean and reassemble. 1911's can get fun to customize too;)

Last edited:

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Friends don't let friends shoot Glock. 1911 for the win. I have never fired a better pistol (and I've shot a lot of them) than a Kimber 1911. Pricey but you get what you pay for. Reliability, accuracy, and safety all in one pistol.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Learning how to shoot is one thing, knowing the law as it applies to you is even better. Forbid if you ever have to use your weapon in a self defense situation and if that happens keep your statement short, to the point, and if necessary have enough money for a lawyer you may need it as all states view self defense differently........

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Friends don't let friends shoot Glock. 1911 for the win. I have never fired a better pistol (and I've shot a lot of them) than a Kimber 1911. Pricey but you get what you pay for. Reliability, accuracy, and safety all in one pistol.
^^^I like this post^^^
I've got nothing against Glock, I don't care for them tho. And, everyone I know that owns one, has a personality that rhymes with the guns brand name
;)
The most accurate auto pistol I've ever owned was a Springfield Loaded, full frame (5") 1911-A1. Match grade barrel, match grade keyed barrel bushing, adjustable match grade trigger/pull, hard wood Springfield G-10 like grips, night sights, light weight hammer, it was really "loaded" with options, nice gun.
Accurate, insanely accurate. All I can say, and I'll put it this way...

It was frequent that I'd fire off a group and pull my target only to find "extra large" holes... When firing off a clip of 7+1, I'd find 5 normal holes and 1 big one. No other pistol I've owned has demonstrated that kind of accuracy, none of them have been full framed either, but that firearm was like holding confidence in your hand. It was just too cumbersome for CC.

Learning how to shoot is one thing, knowing the law as it applies to you is even better. Forbid if you ever have to use your weapon in a self defense situation and if that happens keep your statement short, to the point, and if necessary have enough money for a lawyer you may need it as all states view self defense differently........

Absolutely!
Couldn't agree more!
OP hasn't disclosed if he's planning on CC yet, but it's not something to take lightly, at all...

On a lighter note...
I put a deposit on a Sig Sauer P238 .380 Blackwood today. It's a 1911 style "pocket pistol" and before anyone bags on the .380's lack of umph, you can bet it'll get the job done, and easily stay on target during rapid fire. And I know my wife will be able to handle it much better than the others I currently have :thumb:
I really like it, the shop has a couple of them, and a couple other SS 238 .380's as well, considering its a pocket pistol that holds 7 rounds (8 if ya carry hot) with the extended clip, I might just pick up a second one later on. I'll keep the Blackwood, if my wife likes it, we'll her get the "rainbow" or "purple pearl" model :)

1pieceatatime

Mar 30, 2014
Schuyler NY
Glock haters kill me. I love my 23. I have lots of friends that love there glocks.

Lately I have been carrying my Smith & Wesson 1911. My Smith 1911, my model 23 and my Smith & Wesson BG .380 are my carry guns and I love all 3.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

duramax3388

May 22, 2008
Zanesville Ohio
My first handgun buy was a Ruger Blackhawk .41 Magnum. Then I bought a XDm loved it bought the compact to carry loved it as well. But I just traded them for a Marlin 1894FG in .41 Magnum :D. So now I need a new carry gun and HD gun thinking about S & W Shield and a M&P Pro or something like that. But if I had to do it over again I'd do a 1911 Springfield TRP or anything Dan Wesson 1911 it would make a great gun to hang on to and pass down.

Taylor-34

Jan 13, 2014
Cali..
If you're going to own a hand gun be financially prepared to defend yourself..
I tell my wife damn near everytime she goes somewhere without me. Shoot first we will defend you later. God forbid you have to use your gun, but if you do heed C20's advice.. Keep your statement shirt and sweet, you felt your life was in danger, there was no other way out of the situation.. That is it. Give your next full statement in a controlled environment with a lawyer. I gave you the exact same advice I give my wife, and the exact advice I myself would follow...

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
My first handgun buy was a Ruger Blackhawk .41 Magnum. Then I bought a XDm loved it bought the compact to carry loved it as well. But I just traded them for a Marlin 1894FG in .41 Magnum :D. So now I need a new carry gun and HD gun thinking about S & W Shield and a M&P Pro or something like that. But if I had to do it over again I'd do a 1911 Springfield TRP or anything Dan Wesson 1911 it would make a great gun to hang on to and pass down.

How old was the Ruger .41? I've been looking for one since my dad won't sell me his :mad:

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008

No offense but Kimber does not make a top of the line 1911. Their QC is terrible and often use a lot of poorly made MIM parts that are prone to breaking. Not to say they are bad guns across the board but you run the risk of getting a bad one. I love 1911's though. If you want a high end 1911 look at STI, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, or Nighthawk. If you want something a little cheaper the other big name companies have plenty of options.

For a first time buyer id suggest looking at

S&W MP
CZ 75, P-07, P-09
Glock 17 (Look at Zev technologies for aftermarket options)
Hk P30
Springfield XDm
FNH 45

It all depends on your personal preferences but all the guys have given you some good suggestions so go look around and find what you like. Let us know what you end up going with

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
No offense but Kimber does not make a top of the line 1911. Their QC is terrible and often use a lot of poorly made MIM parts that are prone to breaking. Not to say they are bad guns across the board but you run the risk of getting a bad one. I love 1911's though. If you want a high end 1911 look at STI, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, or Nighthawk. If you want something a little cheaper the other big name companies have plenty of options.

For a first time buyer id suggest looking at

S&W MP

CZ 75, P-07, P-09

Glock 17 (Look at Zev technologies for aftermarket options)

Hk P30

Springfield XDm

FNH 45

It all depends on your personal preferences but all the guys have given you some good suggestions so go look around and find what you like. Let us know what you end up going with

100% agree about Kimber. Lately they have budget quality with a premium price. Sad because they used to be very good.

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.