Turbo Replacement

ArdyC

Dec 2, 2018
Hey all,

My LB7 suddenly sounds like it has a huge turbo on it - I think the bearings are shot in my original turbo. I have 230,000 miles on the original. All the boots are in place - but I need to check for play, etc. But I'm fairly certain I've lost my turbo (or about to) so I've parked it.

I'm doing research on what I should replace the original with. I have no aspirations for speed, power, or demolition of my transmission - but I'd love to have more whistle if I'm going to be spending the money anyway.

What are the best, safest options for a replacement turbo? Is the 64MM really worth it if I have no supporting mods (other than a lift pump)? Or should I just go on Rockauto and buy the Mahle replacement OE turbo?

Just curious on what opinions you all have - and what you would do differently/do again?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You probably lost the wastegate flap on the back of the turbo.

You need to stick with stock if you are not planning on anything else. The 64 will be laggy.

If you want more whistle, put a batmowheel on it but it’s not going to give you a performance boost, just more noise and more turbo lag