Turbo question

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
Put a 68mm stg2r on my lmm a few months ago. Truck had 80k stock turbo worked flawless. Gave it to my buddy to put on his lbz. He put it on and said it screams only around 2k rpm and up. Never drove it just sitting there reving it. Almost like the wheel was contacting the housing. Turbo sat for 3 months if that. Had oil in it. And was pre oiled before firing. Very little play. Any ideas on this guys.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Sounds like a boost leak to me, have him check the connections at the manifold to up pipe, and up pipe to turbo...the up pipe gaskets at the turbo can be installed two ways, but only one way is right...IIRC, the tabs that are on the gaskets for the up pipe to turbo connection face toward the outside (toward the fenders)

There is no reason a used turbo with an oiled cartridge should develop a problem like that from sitting in 3mo time...

I say installer error, and I bet he turbo is fine

Edit:
I checked my truck and the tabs are indeed facing out and these gaskets ARE installed correctly...

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
He has the one piece gasket from profab. I trust this kid to help me work on mine so I don't think it was an install issue as he rebuilt his stock charger and put it back on and it is currently fine.