Turbo Options ?

Jutinr

Jun 29, 2021
So it looks like its time for a new turbo for my 06 LBZ. Any suggestions for bolt in upgrade turbo ? The truck is mostly used for towing. Once a month I tow 10 - 12 thousand lbs for 3,600 miles over the Rockies. So I don't need a go fast set up, but maybe some towing setup options. Should I keep it stock.? The truck is stock with the exception of exhaust and EFI Live. Thanks for any info.

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
Any turbo upgrade will require tuning which may be hard to find. Garrett has an "upgraded" stock unit that flows a bit better than the stock '06 but it's not worth spending the money unless your stock turbo needs to be replaced...

My .02¢

Jutinr

Jun 29, 2021
Yes. But if have to replace the turbo, I was wondering if maybe I could step it up a bit.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
A bigger turbo is not going to tow as well at 1600-1800 rpms. Putting a bigger turbo on is like putting a bigger cam in, it moves your power on up in the rpms.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Yes. But if have to replace the turbo, I was wondering if maybe I could step it up a bit.

If the stock turbo is meeting all your goals/wants/usage I would personally stick with that so long as you don't want to make more power than say 525-550whp (built trans/stock fuel/stock turbo levels).

As stated by another member, no aftermarket turbo will tow or react like a stock turbo. Sure, they come very close but heavy towing at altitudes is the hardest thing any turbo can do in terms of response. If you need to replace it Garrett makes new replacement turbos that are ready to go that are stock design/size etc.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I gave the same advice to a friend recently. I understand his frustration though... if you’re spending money and want to “upgrade” and someone tells you replace with stock, it can be a sad moment. Lol. Even though it’s the best advice possible, you just hate not to spend your money on something you hope makes the truck better than stock :)

Reactions: Bdsankey

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I gave the same advice to a friend recently. I understand his frustration though... if you’re spending money and want to “upgrade” and someone tells you replace with stock, it can be a sad moment. Lol. Even though it’s the best advice possible, you just hate not to spend your money on something you hope makes the truck better than stock :)

1000% agree. 5 years ago I wouldn't have given someone the same advice hahaha. One can say I've "evolved"..............

• Haha
Reactions: N2BRK and Yngdmax92

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
The stock turbo in enough to kill the Trans. There are no gains in upgrading if you don't want to go down that road.

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
Im going to play devils advocate… my stock turbo outlet temps were way too high causing a spiral effect for overheat. Replacing with stock just wasn’t an option for me because I was pushing it hard, at higher altitudes, with heavy loads. The stock turbo just wasn’t efficient enough to push the air I needed at the range I needed. I did go compound first, but eventually upgraded to a stage 3 64mm in the valley. I wouldn’t run the 64 stg3 alone. A billet 64 with the larger 10 blade turbine would be my choice. There are a number of supporting mods that I did before turbo for cooling, but it was the last piece of the puzzle for me. You have to balance your needs. Will it perform “off the line” without lag as well as the stock, probably not, but it’s close. Will it do better at higher engine loads, power,etc? Most likely yes and enough to make it worth it in my book.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Im going to play devils advocate… my stock turbo outlet temps were way too high causing a spiral effect for overheat. Replacing with stock just wasn’t an option for me because I was pushing it hard, at higher altitudes, with heavy loads. The stock turbo just wasn’t efficient enough to push the air I needed at the range I needed. I did go compound first, but eventually upgraded to a stage 3 64mm in the valley. I wouldn’t run the 64 stg3 alone. A billet 64 with the larger 10 blade turbine would be my choice. There are a number of supporting mods that I did before turbo for cooling, but it was the last piece of the puzzle for me. You have to balance your needs. Will it perform “off the line” without lag as well as the stock, probably not, but it’s close. Will it do better at higher engine loads, power,etc? Most likely yes and enough to make it worth it in my book.
You also have a built motor which I wouldn’t consider in the same realm as “supporting mods” not saying I don’t see your point and why you needed a bigger valley turbo, but for this guys wants anything but stock is overkill

Reactions: OleBlackyLBZ

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
You also have a built motor which I wouldn’t consider in the same realm as “supporting mods” not saying I don’t see your point and why you needed a bigger valley turbo, but for this guys wants anything but stock is overkill
True, but I would’ve done the 64mm before compounds and the build if I just needed a moderate improvement. The LBZ doesnt have the same cooling problems as the lly so if it were me, I’d just do the valley and don’t go too big. Compounds was a good way to get the airflow I needed and assist with cooling for the LLY. Higher engine rpm is where I needed the grunt and that’s where the 475 shines. Now I love the compounds and would do it on any truck I have in the future because of how they drive/pull, but depends on what he wants to do.

NevadaLLY

Adam B
Feb 24, 2019
Reno, NV
True, but I would’ve done the 64mm before compounds and the build if I just needed a moderate improvement. The LBZ doesnt have the same cooling problems as the lly so if it were me, I’d just do the valley and don’t go too big. Compounds was a good way to get the airflow I needed and assist with cooling for the LLY. Higher engine rpm is where I needed the grunt and that’s where the 475 shines. Now I love the compounds and would do it on any truck I have in the future because of how they drive/pull, but depends on what he wants to do.
Ah I should correct here though. I just saw you haven’t built the trans. Agree with all above. You can kill the trans with stock parts and tuning alone. That’s the first thing you’ll want to do. Otherwise - stay stock with the hardware.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
If someone wants to tow on a 500 hp tune then yes, get a bigger turbo because your pushing the stocker too hard and things are gonna get hot. But on a stock motor, stock trans, stock fuel truck towing with less than 400hp you are 100% wasting your money and time trying to upgrade the turbo for more performance, instead you will lose performance. UNLESS you are just upgrading the wheel to a better design in the stock turbo

Reactions: zakkb787

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
IMO there are no turbo configurations that tow better than a 475 over stock. The OEM vgt spools very fast and will tow most loads without an issue. If my 75hp tow tune on my LB7 can roll from Wisconsin and Colorado and back grossing 23,880lb on a stock truck (lift pump and PPE valve at the time) and only ever make me have to slow down once for egt then the stock LBZ charger will do just fine with a quality tune.