Truck starts up but doesn’t shut off without pulling fuse under the hood!! HELP!!!

Triggerman37

Dec 28, 2022
New here and to Diesel engines to begin with. Have a 2016 and I bought the truck about 8 months ago and have never had one bit of trouble with it. I just turned 85k miles on it and just this morning I went out to start my truck and it wouldn’t turn over… batteries were almost dead… I noticed that my fuel pump was running and I assume that it must’ve been running all night to kill my batteries to the point it wouldn’t crank over. I ended up unplugging the fuel pump and putting the batteries on charge for acpl hours. Took the batteries off charge plugged the fuel pump back in and fired the truck up no problem. Pulled it up in the driveway about 5/7 ft and ended up shutting the truck off. Later today we were goin to my brothers for a Xmas party and truck fired right up no problems again and we drove over to my brothers. Got to my brothers and went to shut the truck off and when I did I turned the key off and went to open the door and noticed that the truck was still running. The key was off and out of the ignition and door open and all lights and everything inside was off but the truck continued to run. I couldn’t get it to shut off. My brother came out and we got under the hood and he pull I believe he said #36 relay( don’t quote me on that) and when he did it shit off. But now that’s the only way we can get it to shut off. My brother seems to think it has something to do with my remote starter which is just the factory starter. But we even took the battery out of the remote and still wouldn’t shut the truck off with key. His neighbor seems to think that possibly it has something to do with the ignition switch itself or something with a relay tied into the ignition switch not telling the computer that it’s shutting off.. fuel pump just continues to run unless I unplug it and It has automatic running boards and it’s fully deleted but I’m not sure who did the install if that would even have anything to do with anything.. very clean neat and professional looking install on everything but that’s not to say that something isn’t wrong.. I’m lost as to what to look for or where to start.. only thing I can think of that was different was I used my plug for my glow plugs the other day for the first time bcuz it got down to -17 here. Not sure if I messed something up there or if that even has anything to do with it either or if that’s even tied into anything that would affect it and cause it not to shut off but.. if anyone has any insight or can point me in the right direction I’d greatly appreciate it!! Thanks in advance!

Trimox

Aug 31, 2017
If it is a an Airdog lift pump (not sure about Fass) the relay has gone bad and is back feeding the ignition. Happened in my LB7, even unhooking both batteries would not shut the truck off till I pulled the ignition fuse. Might give you some place to start.

Reactions: 2004LB7

Triggerman37

Dec 28, 2022
If it is a an Airdog lift pump (not sure about Fass) the relay has gone bad and is back feeding the ignition. Happened in my LB7, even unhooking both batteries would not shut the truck off till I pulled the ignition fuse. Might give you some place
I don’t know if it’s a Airdog pump or not to be honest.. never looked.. just knew the pump would run constantly until I unplugged it under the truck. But like I said the truck wouldn’t shut off regardless either like you said. I’m not to good when it comes to anything electrical. My brother is the electrician lol I rely on him when it comes to that stuff. But when I showed him this he said it would make sense because that’s probably what the extra fuse is for that is “stacked on”tied into the ignition fuse and if the pump relay is staying open then it in turn is keeping the ignition “on” soda speak. So we’re gonna check the relay on the pump and see if that has anything to do with it! Thanks!

Triggerman37

Dec 28, 2022
Your 'plug' was for the block heater?? or something else ??
Yes for the block heater… first time I used it just because it got so cold out. And it did spark when I went to plug it in right at the plug so I’m wondering if the plug was wet from road grime and water and I didn’t wipe it off good enough! 🤦🏼‍♂️.. course like I said I didn’t know if that would have anything to do with it or not anyways

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Yes for the block heater… first time I used it just because it got so cold out. And it did spark when I went to plug it in right at the plug so I’m wondering if the plug was wet from road grime and water and I didn’t wipe it off good enough! 🤦🏼‍♂️.. course like I said I didn’t know if that would have anything to do with it or not anyways
Unlikely related as it is an isolated circuit from the vehicles electrical

Reactions: Triggerman37

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I would suggest pulling the add-a-circuit for the lift pump from the fuse block and reinstalling the fuse like factory. See if that fixes it. It could be a bad relay in the underhood fuse block keeping the ignition on when the key is off, or it could be the relay for the lift pump back feeding the fuse block and keeping the circuit alive when the key is off (or possibly something else in the truck as well, but those are the two likely problems). Hooking it up like factory will eliminate the possibility of the cause being the aftermarket fuel pump if it still doesn't properly shut off after unhooking that, but unplugging the lift pump will not make any difference if it is the pump wiring causing the problem.