LBZ: Truck setup for towing

tylerb320

Jul 10, 2019
Hi guys,
I just recently purchased a 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CCSB LBZ LT3 and this is my first diesel. As far as I can tell this truck is completely stock except for some 285 tires that are on it that will be getting swapped to 265 on 16 inch rims. I am the second owner of this truck and you can tell the previous owner took care of this truck, this truck also has never had a 5th wheel or a gooseneck in the bed. I am not looking to make a racing truck, or a sled pulling truck I am looking more for trailer/camper pulling truck. I plan on doing a WCFAB High Flow kit to get rid of the EGR, I'm thinking a 95gph FASS or Airdog lift pump w/ CAT fuel filter or delete factory filter and one of Mike L's transmission cooler's. Since I am new to this I wanted to reach out to you guys with knowledge and see what you guys recommend that I do. I know on the WCFAB website it also gives you options of up pipe's and manifolds ect. and this is where I would like to seek your guys opinion. Thank you guys in advance.

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
yes to the lift pump but i would leave the factory filter and only use a gm filter there. next if you put 5th wheel / goose neck rails in use the good plates that bolt to the frame not the 4 little L brackets. last is a down pipe and a nice 4 inch exhaust

tylerb320

Jul 10, 2019
Tothemax,
When you say use a gm filter, does it matter if it is a AC Delco or if it is a Racor? I currently have a Racor PFF50216 filter on there right now. Also, do you a preference in which brand of a lift pump to use and would you recommend a sump? I also have been looking at exhaust from down pipe back no muffler, I have been thinking about doing the 5 inch MBRP stainless steel exhaust.

06gmc

Loud and Heavy
Jun 24, 2017
SWMO
I would put a sump in so you don't have 1/4 tank problems, I like to run AC Delco filters. And also I like Fass pumps but I have heard good things about Airdog! Welcome to the Forum and to the Diesel world! :hug:

tylerb320

Jul 10, 2019
Thanks 06gmc!! I know I've seen a lot of the 1/4 tank issues and I don't think I have that issue yet, but with how common it seems I'm sure it's only a matter of time. I know I did a lot of research between Racor and AC Delco and there was a lot of hit a miss on the revised new part number AC Delco so I decided to go with the Racor. Weather the information was correct or not, I based my decision off of that due to how many different threads I found on Racor vs AC Delco. I'm not sure if you guys have any experience or not, but have any of you ran the heater on the Fass? I know Fass makes where you can do dual heaters on their's and BD makes one that goes on before the filter. I live an MN/SD and we had some very cold winters and often travel to Western SD.

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
i run ac delco filters. i have been running a air dog for probably 7 years on my lbz with no issues. i have had to replace multiple fass pumps on customer trucks. some will probably say the opposite buts thats my first hand. i personal would not do a sump. they like to leak and hang down under the truck to much for me. i run a larger draw straw in mine. i dont really think you need one for a towing setup. ps never have had a 1/4 tank problem. ive ran it down to the low fuel light many times

tylerb320

Jul 10, 2019
Would you guys recommend doing the Pro Fab Cast Flow Manifolds with 2" SS Up Pipes that I could also get through WCFAB? I want to do it right the first time and not have to do anything again because I made a mistake. Like I had said I plan on doing the 3 inch MBRP downpipe with a downpipe back 5 inch exhaust with no cats/no muffler.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Would you guys recommend doing the Pro Fab Cast Flow Manifolds with 2" SS Up Pipes that I could also get through WCFAB? I want to do it right the first time and not have to do anything again because I made a mistake. Like I had said I plan on doing the 3 inch MBRP downpipe with a downpipe back 5 inch exhaust with no cats/no muffler.

It’s overkill. Just get the lb7 up pipe and call it a day. There are guys running high hp numbers on stock manifolds and up pipes. 5” straight pipe is gonna drone especially towing.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Does this thing even have a tune??

IMHO your going waaaaay overboard. Stock filter is more than enough. Throw an exhaust on if you want more noise (won’t do much else on stock tuning). Put a lift pump on like an air dog or fuel lab then it doesn’t matter what you use at the factor filter head as long as it doesn’t leak and you have extra filtration from the lift pump. If you want to stop egr fuction, you need a tune or finger sticks and an egr blocker plate would be the absolute easiest route.

Then leave it alone. For good measure, do an in-depth service. New t-stats (napa or ac delco oem), new fan clutch, clean the cooling stack, go over the belt/idlers/tensioner, replace the coolant hoses for the turbo and the one just above the fan pulley set behind it, change your fluids and filters (both Allison filters) and drive it.

Adding that air filter will most likely throw a code unless you tune it due to tuning size difference. Everything else is beyond what you need on a stock truck.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I would leave the stock filter head.

Add a Kennedy lift pump setup. IMO, Airdog and Fass are just not reliable
DO NOT run a sump. Thats just throwing money away on a stock truck.

No need for an intake, stocker is just fine for what you're doing
No need for uppipes or fancy manifolds on a stock truck
No need for a larger downpipe on a stock truck

EGR delete/block will require fingerstick or tuning, like James said, so...
Add a downpipe-back exhaust if you want to or if you do add tuning. Kennedy has very good tow tunes, so you may be able to one-stop-shop with him.

matthew86

Mar 16, 2018
Eastern WA
I agree that the wc fab kit and exhaust manifold/up pipe is overkill for what you’re doing. If you aren’t looking to run max effort tunes and try to break stuff, there’s much cheaper ways to eliminate the egr and do it right. The LB7 up pipe is the way to go on the exhaust side. Bolts right in and you won’t have a blocker plate or unsupported wing on the up pipe to fail later, and you’re already in there. I’m running a dirty hooker y bridge and piping I installed as part of my headgasket/egr delete. You don’t need the y bridge, I just wanted to get rid of the stock one and plan on continuing to turn up the wick. Cheaper than wc fab and Tony’s people have taken good care of me and lots of others. And since you mentioned cold weather, DHD was the only reputable (not eBay) intake piping that allowed me to keep my grid heater, at least at the time I had my truck apart. Many guys delete in colder places than I’m in and have no issues, but I kept mine for other reasons. Also second, or third running the fingers unit if you’re not going to tune the truck.

If you’re going to run the stock fuel filter as mentioned here, or run a nictane or other adapter for a fuel filter, I would check out the raptor lift pump that is made by air dog. It doesn’t have the filter/water separator unit and is just the lift pump. A good bit cheaper unit. I think Kennedy makes one similar as well, but I don’t have any personal experience with them. If you tow with that truck often as I did my 06 before I lost a trans pump, the 26 gallon tank is going to drive you mad. Best thing I did to the LBZ was a 52 gallon titan tank. I added a sump while I was in there. Had one in my stock tank but I never had the 1/4 tank issue. I went the titan route because a buddy had a used one for a good price and I didn’t want to lose bed space in that truck. Maybe if you’re running a lighter trailer it won’t be as bad. My flatbed is 8500lbs empty and seem to tow into places where fuel stations are spread out.

Trans cooler is always a good idea. Mikel is definitely the man for any trans related stuff. Guys say his cooler works well, I’ll find out when I get my new built mikel trans and install one for myself.

Are you planning on running a gooseneck and fifth wheel hitch? And are you familiar/biased toward any certain ones? I’m a fan of the B&W turnover ball and companion for fifth wheel if you already have the gooseneck. Also curious what sort of towing you’re looking to do and if you’ve looked into brake controllers at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmartin000

Feb 2, 2009
I tow a ton in the Oregon mountains...I really have to recommend the Kennedy Fan clutch. It comes on earlier and less lockup, then if it needs to, will lock up more and really get that fan moving. I think its pretty tough when it comes on and roars like a lion when it just needs a "little" more.

https://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=702

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I tow a ton in the Oregon mountains...I really have to recommend the Kennedy Fan clutch. It comes on earlier and less lockup, then if it needs to, will lock up more and really get that fan moving. I think its pretty tough when it comes on and roars like a lion when it just needs a "little" more.

https://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=702

I second the Kennedy fan clutch. I put one on my 02 LB7 early this year and man does it keep temps in check extremely well. I had issues with my OEM clutch sticking on AND sometimes not activating.