Tribute to an old friend.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
So I bought this truck back in 2007. It was wrecked and had a salvage title. I performed all of the repairs, got the title flipped back to rebuilt status.

Some of you old timers may remember me being a new guy over on DP, asking tons of dumb questions.

Since then, the truck has been my daily driver. I am not one of those people that change vehicles often (yes, I may be referring to Corbin here LOL), I tend to get attached to things, especially the things I put a lot of effort into.

In 2008 I did injectors in the old girl (this was pre SAC and all of that stuff)
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/71...ews/279436-lb7-injector-replacement-pics.html

After injectors, the only other major repair was a failed transfer case. I swapped that out with a Merchant reman unit. In 2016 it began to haze at idle again, I weighed my options and decided to just pull the LB7 and replace it with a LBZ. At this point the LB7 had 330,000 miles on it and had been through (4) sets of injectors. (Only one of which were on my watch) So I came on here asked a lot more questions and swapped it out.
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72330

At this point I figured I would be keeping the truck for another ten plus years. Rust was beginning to be a big issue, so I began to collect parts to repair the body all over again. I scored a sweet rust free bed out of Texas, also a set of front fenders and driver's door. The bed and fenders were already the correct color! I ordered repop rockers and cab corners.

But, in the spring of last year I bought another wrecked DMAX. My wife and I decided we wanted something newer, so we did this;
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77616

So there I sat, with a 340,000 mile, 03 CCSB, LB7/LBZ converted truck, that had a rebuilt title and a lot of rust. And a pile of parts waiting to be installed. Like Johnny Cash said "what could I do?"

Common sense tells me to just broom all of it, fire sale it and the parts for whatever I could get, wash my hands and move on, right? That would have been the smart thing to do, but I couldn't.

This will sound dumb to most of you guys, but I just didn't feel like I could do that. Seemed disrespectful to an old friend, to just reduce it to parts and walk away from it.

So in the purest definition of "throwing good money after bad", I put it back in the shop and began rebuilding it again.

Now this is not an exciting hot rod or pulling truck, just a solid running tow pig that took myself and my family on tons of adventures dragging a 5th wheel camper, trailer full of dirt bikes or snowmobiles. Hell, one time I put my Harley in the bed of it, drove to Tampa, unloaded there and rode the Harley the rest of the way to Key West.

It's crazy, I know. Even crazier to admit all of this , then come on here and tell everyone, but whatever, I'm old and not very bright. Just want my old truck (friend) to live on a little longer. So here's a few pictures, if your bored enough to have read this far, may as well have a look at them.

(the one with the PYO wheels and no driver's door is how I bought it back in 2007)

Attachments

• asbought.jpg
    asbought.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_7421.jpg
    IMG_7421.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_7422.jpg
    IMG_7422.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_7523.jpg
    IMG_7523.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 171
Reactions: 1TRIKHD and TheBac

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Few more pics;

I have more but I'm getting a security token error message on those. Maybe my stupidity limit has been exceeded for today?

Attachments

• IMG_7761.jpg
    IMG_7761.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_7831.jpg
    IMG_7831.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 136

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Nice work. Is paint/body work what you do or have done for a living in the past? You're good if its just a hobby skill!. :cool2:

No, my day job is skilled trades, Diemaker. Bodywork and paint is just a hobby, thanks.

i cant fault you for getting attached to trucks, i do the same :D

What did Tom T Hall say? "Old dog and children and watermelon wine." Same song could be written about old trucks. LOL.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Absolutely no shame in keeping something you love. Especially putting that much effort into it. I wish I didn’t sell my lb7, but live and learn. I’m not settling this time around with what I end up with. Million mile duramax here I come.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
I liked the story. I felt the same way about my LB7, so I can relate to all the trips and the fun. I had my LB7 all through college, made some good friends in the diesel scene, drove it to TS and Scheid's (before they became flatbiller fests), I took many trips to the coast in it, raced it, towed stranded friends, and even drove it in a blizzard to help stranded family 2.5 hours away.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
Absolutely no shame.I bought my LBZ new , I made several good friends through the hobby. My truck sits most of the time now. It's literally the truck that I grew up in so it has lots lots of memories tied with it. I hasn't even crossed my mind to sell it...but rather sink some money in it to restore some worn items.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Good to see a like minded guy, I have a similar build thread on my truck, I don't think I could ever bring myself to sell it! It's family!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
Nothing wrong with that, I have no intentions of getting rid of mine. I also get attached, My 74 is built out of a bunch of parts from my 77 i drove in high school.

Mar 28, 2015
Blue Springs, MO
That’s why I want to start practicing now. That way when the day comes and my truck is totaled I can do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. I just need something to practice on. I want to paint my motorcycle myself but I would for sure screw it up with zero experience. I would really like to be taught by someone that knows what they are doing rather than shooting from the hip.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Absolutely no shame in keeping something you love. Especially putting that much effort into it. I wish I didn’t sell my lb7, but live and learn. I’m not settling this time around with what I end up with. Million mile duramax here I come.

No, I’m not planning to keep it, just breathe life back into it, so hopefully it can live on with a new owner. For a few more years anyway.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Got a little more done on it. Did the front bumper mod, with a half ton grill (that I painted)
9ecc8665d564f7cb0aaed5ee67e3cfc7.jpg
27dc12806888ccc0277daba134a25bdd.jpg
f9d8b7c1224ce26ae602bd381b85eedd.jpg
, side brackets are not reattached yet, when those get done it should level out nicely.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
I liked the story. I felt the same way about my LB7, so I can relate to all the trips and the fun. I had my LB7 all through college, made some good friends in the diesel scene, drove it to TS and Scheid's (before they became flatbiller fests), I took many trips to the coast in it, raced it, towed stranded friends, and even drove it in a blizzard to help stranded family 2.5 hours away.

This was originally built as a snowmobile tow pig, it's used to chasing snowstorms.

Good to see a like minded guy, I have a similar build thread on my truck, I don't think I could ever bring myself to sell it! It's family!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah I'll be sad to see it go, but I'm not set up to store stuff.

I joke that I'll be buried in my truck.

That's gonna be a big hole in the ground!

Nothing wrong with that, I have no intentions of getting rid of mine. I also get attached, My 74 is built out of a bunch of parts from my 77 i drove in high school.

Whoever buys this will get a pile of parts to go with it, between owning this for ten plus years, the donor LBZ truck and the 03 Yukon my wife used to drive, I have a lot of spares. LOL

I wish I could do paint and body work half that good!

It's not perfect, but presentable.

That’s why I want to start practicing now. That way when the day comes and my truck is totaled I can do the same thing.

This time around I am actually practicing different processes on the bodywork, for example, I do not have a paint booth, so painting in cold weather was always avoided because I have to run the furnace to keep the shop warm enough. This is the first job I've done with the heat on in the shop. Hell, at first I was afraid I would blow up!

Same here. I just need something to practice on. I want to paint my motorcycle myself but I would for sure screw it up with zero experience. I would really like to be taught by someone that knows what they are doing rather than shooting from the hip.

I've been lucky to have a few guys let me look over their shoulder over the years and experience is a big teacher.

I use Matrix products because I like their technical data sheets. They have a nice website and post the TDS's on there. Very helpful. My local jobber is a big help too. Little mom and pop place, never too busy to answer a newbie question.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
This was originally built as a snowmobile tow pig, it's used to chasing snowstorms.

Yeah I'll be sad to see it go, but I'm not set up to store stuff.

That's gonna be a big hole in the ground!

Whoever buys this will get a pile of parts to go with it, between owning this for ten plus years, the donor LBZ truck and the 03 Yukon my wife used to drive, I have a lot of spares. LOL

It's not perfect, but presentable.

This time around I am actually practicing different processes on the bodywork, for example, I do not have a paint booth, so painting in cold weather was always avoided because I have to run the furnace to keep the shop warm enough. This is the first job I've done with the heat on in the shop. Hell, at first I was afraid I would blow up!

I've been lucky to have a few guys let me look over their shoulder over the years and experience is a big teacher.

I use Matrix products because I like their technical data sheets. They have a nice website and post the TDS's on there. Very helpful. My local jobber is a big help too. Little mom and pop place, never too busy to answer a newbie question.

Bed liner today
9da0ebd8bffc3d49b51769b7d1b65a05.jpg
e92a596e709b7f9e443654cd7a3f6f85.jpg
bc30189dbdb3f02343f72494e5dffb4e.jpg
f170e71a51f8e85934c0448d9039d99d.jpg
463cb3c8d338a7e9b120531e1d780b00.jpg

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You do nice work. :thumb:

My truck needs rockers and cab corners badly. Where did you buy yours at?

Last edited: