Transmission problem or just fluke?

JCase02LB7

Jul 23, 2015
So got a question, just traveled 4 hrs away on vacation and was headed down some hills and sharp turns and as I was braking to make a curve kinda felt a clunk and then went to accelerate again and just heard motor rev up a couple times and then it went back to shifting normal? Weird but kinda worried me a minute, just fluke? Got a 02 lb7. Thoughts?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Check your transfer case. I've seen them run out of oil, burn up the shift forks and cause them to drop into neutral on deceleration and then back into gear.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
No fresh oil never fixes anything......lol.

I mean I have fixed a few by simply replacing shift forks. But if you ran it out of oil there is a good possibility that much more then just shift forks will need replaced.

JCase02LB7

Jul 23, 2015
You talking a new transfer case all together? I mean it shifted fine after that but doesn't mean it's not junk though?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Have you even checked the oil level in your transfer case yet?

Have you drained it to see what all comes out?

JCase02LB7

Jul 23, 2015
No, until yesterday didn't think I had an issue, just no have no signs of leaking and nothing on floor

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Pump rub is a huge issue on those transfers.

Trans fluid burns up/evaporates over time if not replaced as recommended, so it can be dry or close to it and not leak.

And could be a hole in the tail shaft housing and you could have lost all the fluid in one short trip and never seen the leak.