Trans Service Advice

Jake707

Mar 30, 2020
I’m getting ready to change the fluid in my LLY trans. I don’t know if/when it’s been done so I’d rather just know it’s been changed and good to go.

I have 3 gallons of Transynd fluid, the internal filter, pan gasket and external filter with new magnet. Anything else I should need or check out when the pans off? Any additives I should put in as well? Truck has 177k miles on it, I have limp moded it once with the 90hp tune but I haven’t since and while I want to rebuild it, I just can’t see the money being available anytime soon right now so gonna make this one work for awhile haha

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
After a limp, even that's iffy.

Sorry to hijack the thread... but is there really such thing as a trans safe tow tune? I'm looking at adding another bone stock LB7 to the fleet, and I'm inclined to leave it bone stock but if you say there's tunes out there that should let a 5spd live for a couple years... I'd consider it for efficiency and towing.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
If the trans is fresh, 60/90 hp tune would be ok if you don't hot rod it much. if it has miles on it, then it already has clutch damage and I would not run a tune.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
If the trans is fresh, 60/90 hp tune would be ok if you don't hot rod it much. if it has miles on it, then it already has clutch damage and I would not run a tune.
That's what I figured. 146k on the truck, on your advice I'll probably leave it stock until I can afford the downtime and the bill

JAG91761

Mar 12, 2018
Ontario, California
I’m getting ready to change the fluid in my LLY trans. I don’t know if/when it’s been done so I’d rather just know it’s been changed and good to go.

I have 3 gallons of Transynd fluid, the internal filter, pan gasket and external filter with new magnet. Anything else I should need or check out when the pans off? Any additives I should put in as well? Truck has 177k miles on it, I have limp moded it once with the 90hp tune but I haven’t since and while I want to rebuild it, I just can’t see the money being available anytime soon right now so gonna make this one work for awhile haha
Dumb question but were does the magnet go? Inside the pan?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Sorry to hijack the thread... but is there really such thing as a trans safe tow tune? I'm looking at adding another bone stock LB7 to the fleet, and I'm inclined to leave it bone stock but if you say there's tunes out there that should let a 5spd live for a couple years... I'd consider it for efficiency and towing.
I have one I did that will not hurt a stock trans. I didn't add much to the bottom end, just set it up to bring the power in quicker, optimize timing down low, and set it to hold the torque out longer in the power band. Torque is what slips them, so I didn't increase peak torque, just made it hold the torque out a little further.

Reactions: Bdsankey