Trans learn/adapt?

pavetim

Jan 10, 2011
I have an lml and I have 5 tunes, not dsp I used cal when I change tunes. Is the Trans relearn specific per tune? Like if I put my tow tune on and pull my boat and do a fast learn will that info carry over to the other tunes.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
it more specific to the power level vs throttle position. best to let it adapt as needed and not hammer on it right after changing tunes

Reactions: Animals1234

pavetim

Jan 10, 2011
That's a good explanation but doesn't really answer my question. So say I run a tow tune for 3 days towing my boat, take boat off and put my 125 tune back on will it be learned to the towing or does the 125 keep its previous learn?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
there is a set of adaptions for each clutch/gear for each drive mode such as normal or tow haul. this is in the TCM. the tune changes are happening at the ECM and doesn't have any way of using separate adaptions. the transmission doesn't know that you changed the tune at the ECM other then that it sees acceleration occuring more or less quickly for a given throttle position. then the TCM adjusts the apply pressure, speed, etc for the clutches to produce the smooth shift it's looking for. the TCM will continually make changes as it learns, clutches wear, etc. but will tend to settle down after a number of up and down shifts at different speeds. changing the tune/power will change these parameters and the TCM will have the make more adjustments to smooth it out again

what can help since tow haul and normal drive modes are separate adaptions is to only use one tune for each drive mode. IE: tow tune on tow haul and street or eco, etc for normal (non tow haul) and stick too that. changing tunes while in the same drive mode is what confuses the transmission the most and requires time to let it adapt. it's really hard on the transmission to be running around on a little tune, stop at a red light and see someone who wants to race so you flip the tune over to your "crazy don't hold back give it all you got" tune and start smashing the go peddle when the light changes. the transmission has no idea what's coming and is not adapted for that power level. now if your tow haul is adapted for that power level and driving style the you could probably get away with turning on the T/H and flipping the switch to the hot tune right away

this is one of the reasons I am not a fan of the DSP5 or switchable tunes except for maybe DSP2 with one for street and another for tow

did that answer your question?

Reactions: SheeB

pavetim

Jan 10, 2011
Great explanation, I only use tow haul mode for towing anyways. That answers my question, thanks

SheeB

Oct 7, 2013
Ottawa,Ontario,CANADA
Great post 2004LB7.

In my case I did not opt for SOTF and manually switch tunes using my Autocal. I like the idea of loading the tow tune and driving around only with T/H on and then upload my Street tune and not use the T/H.

Does these adaptations get reset when switching tunes manually as I do currently?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
no. resetting the adapts is done through is a specific by-directional command. it's not done at the ECM but at the TCM

Reactions: SheeB