Help: trans hard and delayed up and downshifts

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
Trans has about 30k miles on it.
Limitless Diesel Kit
Suncoast 1058
Danville ECM tuning
Ridgerunner TCM tuning (just raised shift points for larger tires)

Has reg dex 3 in it and only use allison/acdelco for external and internal filters.

The trucks 4-3 downshift started getting rougher and rougher, did some googling, Changed the spin on and reset the TAPS, and did the stop, 25% throttle and up from there, making it fully upshifts and fully down shifts as i start and stop have been driving it for about 100 miles since TAPS reset,

It was rough at first then it was smoothing out, then was being very inconsistent, sometimes the 4-3 would be hard, liek drag the tires hard, then some times it'll be perfect, Also the 2-3 up shift would be hard, then smooth.

Then it really took a turn, Reverse wouldn't go right in, it would hesitate and slam into reverse hard. Driving it some more, stopped short, downshifts felt ok, until i got to a complete stop, my Edge Insight gear read says its in Neutral, I go to feather the throttle and it slams into 1st, then my 2-3 up shift is going 2-neutral-3 and slamming into 3rd HARD, I am letting out of the throttle to keep it from slamming so hard. Its also doing this 3-4, and the 4-5 shift is inconsistently smooth and hard, but not as hard as the rest.

I dumped the fluid today as well as broke open the filter(see pics) nothing special there, couple very small aluminum shavings and fluid was dark but not black like the trans is eating itself.

I am thinking maybe something stuck in the valve body? There are no transmission codes, i have a few stored codes, but they have been there for a couple years.

C0040
C0201
B0229
B1440
B2575
B2610
B2961

Might be worth dropping the valve body and seeing how the valves move in the bores? not sure where to go from here.

Attachments

• Al.jpg
    Al.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Al2.jpg
    Al2.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Al3.jpg
    Al3.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Al4.jpg
    Al4.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Al5.jpg
    Al5.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Al6.jpg
    Al6.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 27

kheims

Oct 7, 2012
I would call Evan. Since u used his kit he more then likely will help u out. Give u some ideas even.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
You did everything wrong. Googling is like pissing in the wind. Doing a relearn diverges the shift points. ( should only be done at rebuild.) Shift points with larger tires will shift late, not earlier. Why would you extend the shift points? You have wheel sensor problems and ignore them, why? Stop pounding your head against the wall because it feels better when you stop. Fix the codes.

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
You did everything wrong. Googling is like pissing in the wind. Doing a relearn diverges the shift points. ( should only be done at rebuild.) Shift points with larger tires will shift late, not earlier. Why would you extend the shift points? You have wheel sensor problems and ignore them, why? Stop pounding your head against the wall because it feels better when you stop. Fix the codes.

Gotta learn some how.:eek:

Its been 2 years since the TCM tune, I don't remember exactly what was done in it.

Would the ABS codes cause any of my issues? I'm pretty sure the EBCM is bad...again for the 201 code.

checked the hub assemblies, they appear good, lower ball joints have some play. going to check the wiring now.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Well, the way I look at it which is probably wrong, the trans acts on two sets of data. Power from the engine and speed to tell it when to shift. If your speed sensors are not reading correctly or jumping erratically, how is it going to have an accurate determination of when and where to properly shift?

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
Well, the way I look at it which is probably wrong, the trans acts on two sets of data. Power from the engine and speed to tell it when to shift. If your speed sensors are not reading correctly or jumping erratically, how is it going to have an accurate determination of when and where to properly shift?

Makes sense. Thanks.

I'd say my next question is, why would it have developed the hard 4-3? Based on one of my other threads, I replaced the hubs 03/2017, with the codes for the RF sensor still there.

Just took the right side apart, sensor and wiring as well as hub assembly look to be in good condition, abs sensor did have a glob of what I'm guessing is die electric grease? Directly on the end, where the metal part of the sensor pokes through.

If this doesn't clear it up, I'll have to find a shop to look at it, I don't have a tech 2 to look at and test everything

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
I talked to Evan last week, he pointed me to the trim springs being broken, got it all apart, sure enough, the Trim A spring was in 3 pieces and balled up in the valve. It was an older transgo Jr kit.

Big thanks to Evan for helping me get it sorted out

Local drive train shop actually had a transgo jr in stock, got it all swapped and back together, took it a little bit to relearn, but its back to shifting smoothly.

as for the rest of the codes. I bought a subscription to alldatadiy.com, foudn the tsb I have been looking for, as my drivers seat switch goes forward when the button is pressed back, and back when pressed forward.

the 2 abs codes are only set when the key is cycled, if I clear the codes after start up, they will not set when driving. Also the abs or brake light is not on, would ocasionally come on when its around -20F

The C0040 speed sensor code on the V2 has a P, which says its passed for this ignition cycle.

The C0201 Anti-Lock Brake System Enable Relay Contact Circuit, I have read that some of the solder points for the relay can crack or just weren't all that good from the factory, alot of guys split open the EBCM and re colder the connections.

I ordered a Chinese tech2 to help diagnose and reprogram the drivers seat module, just waiting on the mail

Attachments

• Trim.jpg
    Trim.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 37
  • TrimSprings.jpg
    TrimSprings.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
ouch. you may want to look into getting mikes springs for that. the transgo ones are known to do the same thing

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
ouch. you may want to look into getting mikes springs for that. the transgo ones are known to do the same thing

I forgot to say in that post, they were Transgo springs that failed, the transgo stuff is what was available to me locally, I needed the truck up and running,

I already have a set of Mike L. Trim springs already in the mail, for just in case

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I forgot to say in that post, they were Transgo springs that failed, the transgo stuff is what was available to me locally, I needed the truck up and running,

I already have a set of Mike L. Trim springs already in the mail, for just in case

perfect!

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
His kit was before Mikes springs. Luckily there hasn’t been any failures out of t-go’s redesigned springs that I’ve seen but Mikes for sure don’t break.

I figured as much. I knew your kits had mikes springs and if that was one of mikes, there would have been a lot more talk going on lmao

Chris handy

Dec 21, 2019
Need help also

I have a 2002 that will bang into reverse. Goes into drive fine but then slams from 4-5 hard then 2-1 hard then sometimes it won’t go into drive till you go to reverse first. Been upgraded to have the plus minus button on shifter

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
I have a 2002 that will bang into reverse. Goes into drive fine but then slams from 4-5 hard then 2-1 hard then sometimes it won’t go into drive till you go to reverse first. Been upgraded to have the plus minus button on shifter

Since I replaced the trim springs my trans is back to shifting nice and smooth