TrakMotive XTENDED Travel CV Axles GM-8026XTT 2500HD

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It’s more than that I’m sure. The whole wrong part number basically seals the deal. Probably wrong taper to fit the output shaft and possible wrong bolt pattern.

I wouldn’t get hung up on the fact is round as I’ve put round ones in these trucks too but there are other issues the tech ran into. Main one being the wrong part number all together.

Get the right one, pop it in, roll on
Searching that part number leads me to believe they may have changed the part number slightly. If you search the Trakmotive website, it still lists the GM-8026ET as the Extended Travel version of the axle for his application. https://www.trakmotive.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Trakmotive-Extended-Travel-CV-Axles-3.20.pdf

That said, There isn't a lot of travel in the CV axle linearly anyway, so I don't see where that aspect is much benefit. I also don't understand the point of having the same amount of articulation on the inboard joint as you have on the outboard joint. The reason the outer joint needs more articulation is because it has to turn. If you were to max out the inner joint, the outer joint would also be at its max, and you wouldn't be able to turn. 23 degrees of articulation they advertise as the limit of the stock inner joint is more than you can get from the stock suspension anyway.

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
I didn't read the whole thread but I am running them. Works good and so far no issues. Recently I checked RockAuto and seen that the part numbers that I previously bought and the part numbers that are current are no longer the same

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

May 1, 2017
USA
I didn't read the whole thread but I am running them. Works good and so far no issues. Recently I checked RockAuto and seen that the part numbers that I previously bought and the part numbers that are current are no longer the same

Was the inboard side of the CV shaft Round on yours, or where they the OEM Star shaped?

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
Was the inboard side of the CV shaft Round on yours, or where they the OEM Star shaped?
They are star shaped. But the after market ones I had before were round. Both worked fine and no issues.
d466edd08d4efa5dd2214cd1e64e8f5a.jpg

gmc502

Jan 16, 2011
I'll keep this short,,I installed these,first,they are a pita to get in,oem ones come right out or in no tking anything apart.the fatter shaft makes you just about remove the upper control arm,then turn the hubto get it in.
now the bad
w/oem,I could turn on my driveway,front end didn't like it but it did it.1 time turning around to get my plow and these pos's broke right at the outer cv joint.
what else I noticed,,its like they didn't put enough moly lube in them.after 500 miles they were loose and clanky,and this was using my hand and twisting.
not impressed.I put the 1 old oem back in.save your money