TrakMotive XTENDED Travel CV Axles GM-8026XTT 2500HD

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Never even heard of them. I've not seen much need to use anything other than stock.

Reactions: Bdsankey
May 1, 2017
USA
The Dmax Store is where I'd seen them 1st.
Did some research and it looks like there're manufactured by TrakMotive & rebranded Dmax.

May 1, 2017
USA
Don't really see a reason to run those unless you are lifted with torsions cranked and lost the spacers that come with the lift?
Not sure over the years where I started for Stock Ride Hight Form. It's Stance is pretty high using 1500 Keys & Torsions & Kryptonite Uppers Control Arms. (Look @ Sig)
I had bought these CV shafts because there designed with a sliding center bar that supposed provides up to 40mm more travel than the OEM GM CV shaft.
Also the CV joint also can bend up to a 47° articulation angle compared to a maximum 23° articulation angle on an OE CV joint, in which I though would benefit the torsion adjustment.
I just sent pair back to ROCKAUTO due to fitment issues, It appears the Incorrect shaft was placed in the Rite Box.
A44F2A08-4ECA-4406-8700-E855A29AE389_1_201_a.jpegThese have a Round Inner Coupler and would not fit in place. I had brought these and my truck to a local GM dealer to have installed and
5 hours later, I had the Tech reinstall the old Cv due to them not clearing the front differential output shaft.
I was Quite FN Angry that I hadn't noticed the Difference in the Shaft # VS the Box part # !

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I've used them, nothing bad to say about them yet. Biggest issue I've had with the aftermarket CVs of multiple brands is the cheap boots don't last Long in the salt up here or at higher joint angles.

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
Not sure over the years where I started for Stock Ride Hight Form. It's Stance is pretty high using 1500 Keys & Torsions & Kryptonite Uppers Control Arms. (Look @ Sig)
I had bought these CV shafts because there designed with a sliding center bar that supposed provides up to 40mm more travel than the OEM GM CV shaft.
Also the CV joint also can bend up to a 47° articulation angle compared to a maximum 23° articulation angle on an OE CV joint, in which I though would benefit the torsion adjustment.
I just sent pair back to ROCKAUTO due to fitment issues, It appears the Incorrect shaft was placed in the Rite Box.
View attachment 114006These have a Round Inner Coupler and would not fit in place. I had brought these and my truck to a local GM dealer to have installed and
5 hours later, I had the Tech reinstall the old Cv due to them not clearing the front differential output shaft.
I was Quite FN Angry that I hadn't noticed the Difference in the Shaft # VS the Box part # !
I've used a couple CVs that have the round inner coupler like that without issue.

May 1, 2017
USA
Well the GM Tech @ the Dealership couldn't get it in place.
They took apart the Upper Control Arm Balljoint, Shock, Tie Rod end, Caliper & Rotor, and the Swaybar link.
They where going to unload the torsion bars but couldn't locate their Tool.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
They took apart the Upper Control Arm Balljoint, Shock, Tie Rod end, Caliper & Rotor, and the Swaybar link.
What's hanging them up? I've swapped stock ones in my driveway with basic hand tools. Something seems off if the dealership can't do it on a lift with all the tools they got unless there is something wrong woth the axle

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
Sounds like they are too long. I can do mine in my driveway and only need to remove the swaybar end link from the lca. Doesn't even make sense why the rotor and caliper should have to come off since they are on the outside of the spindle/hub.

Reactions: 2004LB7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Sounds like they are too long. I can do mine in my driveway and only need to remove the swaybar end link from the lca. Doesn't even make sense why the rotor and caliper should have to come off since they are on the outside of the spindle/hub.
Me thinks that maybe they are designed for lift kits to eliminate the spacer and still allow the extra travel

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Looked on Rockauto, and their "standard" axle specs are:
TRAKMOTIVE GM8026 Specifications
Abs Tone Ring IncludedNo
Axle Nut Head TypeHex
Axle Nut Height (IN)6/7
Axle Nut Height (MM)21.5
Axle Nut Hex Size (IN)1 3/7
Axle Nut Hex Size (MM)36
Axle Nut IncludedYes
Axle Nut Length (IN)1 5/8
Axle Nut Length (MM)41.5
Axle Nut Locking TypeSelf-Lock
Axle Nut Thread SizeM24*2
Boot MaterialNeoprene
Inboard Joint TypeFlange
Inboard Shaft Connection StyleFlange
New Or RemanufacturedNew
Number of Outboard Splines33
Outboard Joint TypeConventional
Outboard Shaft Connection StyleConventional
Overall Compressed Length (IN)21.65
Overall Compressed Length (MM)550

As compared to the XTT version:
TRAKMOTIVE GM8026XTT Specifications
Abs Tone Ring IncludedNo
Axle Nut Head TypeHex
Axle Nut Height (IN)0.85
Axle Nut Height (MM)21.5
Axle Nut Hex Size (IN)1.42
Axle Nut Hex Size (MM)36
Axle Nut IncludedYes
Axle Nut Length (IN)1.64
Axle Nut Length (MM)41.57
Axle Nut Locking TypeSelf-Lock
Axle Nut Thread SizeM24*2
Boot MaterialNeoprene
Inboard Joint TypeFlange
Inboard Shaft Connection StyleBolt-on
New Or RemanufacturedNew
Number Of Inboard Joint Bolt Holes6
Number of Outboard Splines33
Outboard Joint TypeConventional
Outboard Shaft Connection StyleSpline
Overall Compressed Length (IN)21.73
Overall Compressed Length (MM)552

So the XTT is 2mm longer. You wouldnt think that would make a diff, but maybe it does?

May 1, 2017
USA
Apologize for the delayed response, took the wife & dog the Beach to watch the Sunset.

The Tech said the round inboard end of the CV shaft was not clearing the front axel output shaft due to it being a solid round instead of the OEM Star shaped CV

See Photos for comparison.

EE6EB98B-F52B-4467-9EA6-7EEE49BC229C_4_5005_c.jpeg636B93C9-8A78-43CC-8134-C7CAC27D8004_1_201_a.jpeg

A44F2A08-4ECA-4406-8700-E855A29AE389_1_201_a.jpeg

Thank you (TheBac) for posting the Specs.
I compared the Specs before purchasing the CV shafts & as it was pointed out (2mm longer) so I felt confident in using them & liked the idea that they can handle the angles @ 47° articulation.
Just didn't notice the Round inner weeks ago when I received & unboxed them on the tailgate, also didn't notice the different part # on the shaft VS the Box.
Leaving SW Florida in a couple more days & heading back to New England for the Summer, just wanted to get them installed before the 1700mile trip home.
The Old Shaft sprung a pinhole leak and started slinging grease, so I was being proactive before traveling & upgrading in the meantime.
I'll see about getting another set that have the star shape & do the job myself
The only reason I used the Dealer was not having the appropriate tools while traveling. When I get home and back to my Garage I'll get it done.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I don't see how being round would be a problem. The flange rotates so therefore is technically taking up the same space as a round one. And some of the spacers are round and fit just fine

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I don't see how being round would be a problem. The flange rotates so therefore is technically taking up the same space as a round one. And some of the spacers are round and fit just fine

It’s more than that I’m sure. The whole wrong part number basically seals the deal. Probably wrong taper to fit the output shaft and possible wrong bolt pattern.

I wouldn’t get hung up on the fact is round as I’ve put round ones in these trucks too but there are other issues the tech ran into. Main one being the wrong part number all together.

Get the right one, pop it in, roll on