Towing capacity

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
no you're pretty much spot on. i would weld some ears on.

doesn't the bumper also attach to the rear frame? seems to me that all of the stress will still get transmitted to the rear of the frame. or is it better or more evenly distributed with the bumper in play?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i thought that the pinion angles had to be the same (within a few %) coming out of the transfer case and going into the diff. otherwise you can get some bad vibrations. that was the reason for the "lift" companies making the pinion angle that way. to try and match the two universal joint angles

on my receiver, I use a grade 8 bolt, nut & washers. I drilled a hole in the nut through the bolt so i can lock it with a small lock or pin. doesn't move around so the hole hasn't grown.

the pinion angles do have to do as you state. now jump under a lifted truck and look at how the angle at the pinion is parallel with the drive shaft and all the angle is at the t-case joint. this is suited for a DC u-joint setup but they are not strong enough for our trucks due to the limited size that can fit there. i would bet lift companies dont correct it so you dont have to have your driveline lengthened. turning the pinion up takes up some of that added length. if i didnt have to cut half of my crossmember apart to fix it, i would have corrected it on my truck already. maybe when i tear everything out for new powder coat.

unless i kept the bolt tight, i dont think it would save mine. slamming throttle with 600 hp, then slamming brakes just took its toll over time. shes going on 16 years of abuse now lol

doesn't the bumper also attach to the rear frame? seems to me that all of the stress will still get transmitted to the rear of the frame. or is it better or more evenly distributed with the bumper in play?

it does but its also attached to the frame at more points which distributes the load better into the frame. the bottom of the c-channel is what gave out and then folded the top of the frame with it. basically lost all its structure on the bottom. atleast with the bumper on, the sides of the frame also carry some load which in the direction the leverage is going, will hold up better. thats why i say to box in the frame if you dont want to connect to the bumper, gives alot of strength back to the hitches attachment points at the frame