Torque converter shudder or suspension issue?

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
Got a 07 LBZ CCSB 4x4, its got EFI live with 120hp tune but RARELY run it on that. Daily tune is a 65HP tune. Stock converter slipped on even the 30 horse tow tune so i had a LML Converter and a transgo jr installed about 20k miles ago. ive started getting a weird shudder/ jerking back and forth feeling when cruising between 45mph and 55mph basically 5th gear locked seems to get better when it hits 6th gear but it may be speed related and not related to what gear its in. Its hard to explain almost like a bouncing/jerking forward and back it does it when the converter is unlocked around 45mph but is for sure a little more pronounced when the converter locks at 50mph and continues to shudder but not as bad even when off the throttle and coasting. If i ease into the throttle the shudder seems to lighten up a little bit and does NOT get worse. The converter does not slip at all and holds power well. When the problem started i noticed i had a tire that was out of round so i thought that was it but i purchased 4 Brand new BFG KO2s and the issue got a little better but is still there. I know my rear shocks are shot but im not really thinking thats the issue! Thanks for any help!

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I would take it to a professional and have it checked. Too hard trying to diagnose a shudder on the internet.

Hnkstang50

Mar 28, 2016
NJ
Possibly your feeling frame beaming i think the call it. Theres a bulletin out there about replacing the rear cab mounts to improve it. You can put 500 lbs between the rear axle and tail gate. If it goes away then most likely thats it

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
So just an update, I pulled the drive shaft today and my u-joint at the axel felt like it was binding up a little when I would twist it. So I replaced it and greased the yoke. No change. I'm at discount tire now getting my tires road force balanced and rotated right now to rule that out. Any other ideas a greatly appreciated. Starting to worry it may be something with my T-Case

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
When it shutters try tapping the brakes lightly and see if it goes away that's when the t converter unlocks if it goes away then most likely TC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
When it shutters try tapping the brakes lightly and see if it goes away that's when the t converter unlocks if it goes away then most likely TC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My T converter seems to unlock relative to speed and doesn't really matter when or if I hit the brakes. Drop below 50 it unlocks. But continues to shudder most the time

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
Is T case full ? Did you push the yoke up and down to check to see if bushing and or rear bearing are bad ? Did you ever replace trans mount ?

Yoke has just a TINY TINY bit of up and down play. Didn’t replace trans mount road force balance seemed to have helped ALOT. T-case is full