Torque Converter Questions

NickSch

Dec 31, 2016
Just rebuilt the transmission on my 2006 LBZ, the truck is mostly stock I daily drive it and do some towing with it. Was looking at a Suncoast 1058 and Suncoast 1074. I have seen some mix reviews on the 1058 but have seen much on the 1074. I know the stall rate are comparable. Is anybody on running a 1074 on a stock truck?

twells

Jan 21, 2019
Oklahoma
I was looking to get rid of my SC 1058 and wanted to know what would work great DD and little weekend fun?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
If it's a stock truck I would follow Mike's recommendation to run a stock LML converter. If you want something aftermarket I would look into Goerend myself over SunCoast. I've used a ton of Goerend R converters in trucks that are just stock fuel/air/built trans to trucks that are running larger drop in turbos and never been disappointed. the Goerend R is similar to a 1078.

Animals1234

Jun 8, 2017
If it's a stock truck I would follow Mike's recommendation to run a stock LML converter. If you want something aftermarket I would look into Goerend myself over SunCoast. I've used a ton of Goerend R converters in trucks that are just stock fuel/air/built trans to trucks that are running larger drop in turbos and never been disappointed. the Goerend R is similar to a 1078.

On the R converters do you notice rattle on some of them? I switched from a 1078 to an R last year and heard rattle in park and neutral

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
On the R converters do you notice rattle on some of them? I switched from a 1078 to an R last year and heard rattle in park and neutral
Yes, I've heard it on a few but nothing that is excessive. I've sent one back in to Goerend and they inspected it and said everything was fine and it's not uncommon.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
The rattle is a common trait with Goerend converters. So much so that they have a disclaimer in the box and on the order form. Luckily they have been fairly easy to work with in the last couple of years to get it quieted down in situations where the customer will not tolerate how loud they are. It makes ordering at a drive-through a pretty painful experience sometimes.

Animals1234

Jun 8, 2017
Thank god it's not just my converter then haha. There isn't a lot of guys running goerend converters near me so it's hard to compare. I wasn't aware that they had a disclaimer on the box and order form. I don't mind the rattle but when I first installed it I thought I used the wrong bolts which is where I thought the rattle came from. Would you guys happen to know why they rattle in park and neutral? I've been told it's because of the coupling going on but I'm not very technical when it comes to transmissions.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The steel plate clutches between the frictions will rattle in the billet cover. Nothing to worry about, but in certain cases they can be irritating.

Reactions: Animals1234

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Mike I thought the LML converters clutch lining would come apart at anything over 800 tq? Have they improved them or is this turely for a stock truck no tuning?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
You are correct. That is what the LML converter is rated at. You can run more tq as it is proven to hold 1K tq, but don't beat on it.