Toolbox recommendations

Pwinland95

Jan 24, 2015
Illinois
Alright guys so I'm going to purchase a toolbox. I've looked at matco and snap on the most. The classic 78 and 4s series mainly. A double bay box with a work top. What is everyone using and why? I wanna make sure I go the right route and I'm happy with it. I'll be using the box pretty much every day as I am starting to turn wrenches more for our family business. Just curious what all you guys prefer! Thanks.

matt2778

Jun 9, 2014
I have a Snapon toolbox. If I were to buy another tool box I would buy one of the big ones from Harbor freight. They didn't have big ones when I bought my snapon box

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I've got the smaller one from hf and thonim not a mechanic by trade I do a lot of work with this box and the quality is impressive for the price. The big ones are extremely nice.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I bought used boxes... No way was I paying what they wanted for a new one. I just traded up until I ended up with my current box a triple bank Snap On. I see them forsale on Craigslist all the time for pennies compared to what they are new... Or pick up a trade in box like I did.

AZlml

Jun 5, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
I'd look for a used name brand box as well. Harbor freight ones aren't bad either i've known a few people with them in service trucks that lasted a long time. My Mac box got thrashed in my service truck I wish I had a cheaper one at the time but it still works..

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I bought my snap-on brand new, but I got it right out of school for 1/2 of retail. Only way I would've got one.

Couple guys at work have the HF boxes, the wheels are chit and the drawers suck IMO. For decent quality and price, look at Proto. About $2700 for a 54" box last I checked.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I went from two craftsman used boxes, to a used 30" snap on, to a new snap on 54"x30" deep. I need a larger box but I'm out of room in the garage so cabinets, tool cart and work benches will do for now.

Pwinland95

Jan 24, 2015
Illinois
I've looked at a few off brand boxes such as harbor freight and tractor supply sells some tactix boxes. There are some decent deals on Craigslist for used snap on and matco boxes which I wouldn't really mind paying for. Basically in the long run I figured I'd be happy to get a quality box.

citadel

Jan 2, 2008
TN
I've been eyeballin' the big husky ones they sell at that big orange home improvement store. They seem pretty nice for the price.

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
I have a husky in my shop used it every day for 7 years well it's falling apart , bottom drawer broke first or second year , all The drawers are flimsy, payed 700 back them prefer my sturdy snapon roll + lock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk