Tire and wheel questions-Type, weight, and kind.

01redshowpony

Dec 9, 2015
Camp Point IL
Hey guys, been doing some research and forgive me if this is a stupid question (maybe I am way over thinking this) but, I have been wondering about a few things regarding wheel and tire setups for all around daily trucks. My truck makes around 625-640RWHP and I still daily it half the time. In the summer I plan on competing in the dirt drag competitions at all the local county fairs and occasional 2-3 sled pulls. Along with some 4wd launches on the weekend drag racing some buddies... lol I also work my truck quite often on a gooseneck and tow fairly heavy. I've always ran 16x10 ion wheels with a 305/70/16 MT tire. I have ran Dick cepek extreme country tires, Mtzs, BFG mts, and cooper stts.

I have been doing quite a bit of research on wheel tire and weight. I know that obviously more weight is going to hurt on some performance side of things. Lately I have been doing a lot of thoughts on buying 20x12 with a 305/50/20 or 305/55/20 but do not want to loose a lot of power/speed/practicality due to heavy wheels and tires.

My question for you guys is, is there a ratio on how much weight per tire/wheel setup acts as weight gained/removed to the total truck in terms of power loss? Is this even such a thing to be concerned about? What is the best all around tire for hooking up on the street? (Being a SCLB it has issues hooking up lol).

I know this might be a really stupid question but I guess I am just wanting to know what my best options might be. Thanks!

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I wouldn’t imagine there’s much of a difference. I went from 285/70s on h2 wheels to 22x12s and 305/40s and saw no change. If anything, the 22s may have been lighter but idk. Probably not.

Tyler_LBZ

Feb 26, 2015
NC
I've ran three different wheel and tire setups on my truck. The lightest was the factory 16x6.5 wheels with 265/75/16 Cooper AT tires. The heaviest were the 20x12s with 33x12.5 Atturo mud tires.

I am currently running 18x9 Method wheels with 285/65/18 Nitto ridge grapplers and they are still pretty light, but I think it's the wheels that make the biggest difference.

The methods and factory wheels are aluminum and the 20x12s I had were steel (some cheap off brand that came on the truck) they were surprisingly heavy and I noticed a drop in mileage compared to the stock wheels and the ones I am running now.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I wouldn’t imagine there’s much of a difference. I went from 285/70s on h2 wheels to 22x12s and 305/40s and saw no change. If anything, the 22s may have been lighter but idk. Probably not.
H2 wheels are very heavy for their size.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

01redshowpony

Dec 9, 2015
Camp Point IL
Thanks guys, I think I'm going to just buy another set of ions on a 305/70/16. Cant bring myself to spend good money on a decent set of chrome wheels and tires ;)

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
If you tow heavy and are trying to put that much power to the ground a forged aluminum wheel is going to be your best, safest, lightest, and strongest option. Forged aluminum will be significantly lighter than a cast aluminum wheel.