Timing cover

Troysalm71

Feb 28, 2016
Bemidji, MN
I'm checking to see if anyone has any tips tricks anything with pulling the front timing cover. My truck recently had a pump fail. The truck is cp3 converted but the gear just sheared 5 teeth off it an I'm just curious where to go with this check cam gear an pull the front oil pan an find the chunks an if they're all there put it together or pull it apart??

quadracer37

Mar 31, 2009
northern, IL
Would recommend pulling the front cover to inspect the cam gear. Will likely need to drop the lower oil pan to collect the broken pieces of the gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troysalm71

Feb 28, 2016
Bemidji, MN
Thanks is it a big job sorry for a bunch of questions just never thought I'd be in this thing so quick I've learned my lesson with certain pumps to say the least. Also since it's got them two gears on the cam how do you line those up an the lower oil pan can I get that out with motor in the truck yet again sorry for a bunch of questions

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
What cp3 pump were you running? I'm sure it's happened before, but I've never personally seen those gears get damaged.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Troysalm71

Feb 28, 2016
Bemidji, MN
Forgot to get back on here but it's an industrial injection 120 cp3 this is the second time it's went my luck I guess. I was really hoping I didn't have to pull the motor.

Troysalm71

Feb 28, 2016
Bemidji, MN
Was just curious again is there a way I can pull this timing cover with the engine still In I just don't have the things needed to pull the motor out? Thanks in advance guys

Troysalm71

Feb 28, 2016
Bemidji, MN
Maybe a dumb question but if it saves me time is it a possibility tearing my water pump off putting my snap on scope up through there checking if everything looks okay which I very highly doubt just take an try an pull the pan to get the metal from the gear out?