Time for head gaskets???

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
So I was working on the passenger side tightening up the fleece trans cooler fittings that go into the radiator and saw this:

1f72cfb443ef0b328aa45cbc469c3dbd.jpg

I’m guessing it’s time for head gaskets???

Shit. 175000 miles. ZERO engine mods.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
Check the upper hose after it sits over night. Also take a light and check the valley to make sure one of the turbo coolant lines aren't leaking and running down the back of the motor/head or the egr coolant lines aren't leaking. My lbz was leaking in the same spot when I just did the gaskets. Head gasket was blown between #7 and the back coolant passage in the head.

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
Upper hose has never been soft. I thought the coolant leaking from the Fleece fitting on the radiator was the cause of the drip on the driveway, but then I noticed wet spot on the new trans lines and followed it up the back of the back of the engine to the area in the photo. I looked beneath the turbo and it looks like some kind of fitting at the bottom is also greasy and dirty. :(

Any idea what jus a head gasket change on both cylinder banks should cost? Don't need fancy schmancy head studs, factory is just fine for me. Unless the cost difference is marginal.

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
Mine was 2grand for labor. The guy pulled the cab to do the job. I have a friend who builds race engines. He let me pressure test them, and surfaced them for me for free. So anyways, you'd have that'd cost ontop. Each gasket is up to $100ea depending on what you get. I also bought a gasket kit to put it all back together with fresh stuff..thats kind of optional.

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
If my gaskets have never been done before, are the studs reusable? It's always better to get fresh hardware, but what's the cost difference between say GM bolts and ARP or some other high performance fastener?

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
So realistically, can I do this myself with some other folks as hands? I watched some videos, and it seems like a lot of steps, but none too difficult. Do I need to send the heads out to a machine shop? What is a good price for a machine shop to do the work? Anything else to watch out for besides the dowels and rodent nests in the engine valley?

kaylabryn

May 18, 2012
Mesa, AZ
So how is coolant getting up to in between the head and lower valve cover? I would go with anything that might be leaking in the valley. Just my thought, maybe I am missing something??

Reactions: dmax02

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
^^^ 2x that is not a head gasket. its the lower valve cover from what I see in your photo. you have a leaking heater hose, turbo coolant hose or something else on top of the engine leaking

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
So how is coolant getting up to in between the head and lower valve cover? I would go with anything that might be leaking in the valley. Just my thought, maybe I am missing something??
^^^ 2x that is not a head gasket. its the lower valve cover from what I see in your photo. you have a leaking heater hose, turbo coolant hose or something else on top of the engine leaking

So this is actually great news! I will tear into the top section and check to see any moisture.

This place is the best!

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
Still coolant coming from a hole in the fleece fittings. Looks like a tiny weep hole on the female part of the fitting (hose side not radiator fitting)

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
aef3d09634e3f323519a92c0b7dee9b7.jpg

Not sure you can see the tiny hole on the fitting. Looks like it’s by design? Do I need to tighten it more? It’s aluminum, so I don’t want to snap it off.