The wifes 2005 1500 2wd suburban...........

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
Simple question I want to swap out the ipc cluster for a factory cluster that has the factory trans temp gauge. I'll have to pull the part number out of it to see what will interchange with. i would like to use a 05 duramax cluster and not a denali cluster just to keep it clean and factory looking. What is the best option so as to not brick it when I program it. I'm sure its been done just want to know what I'm up against. fwiw it has standard cluster in it no business pid or log pids when scrolling through the steering wheel buttons on dic but it does have the illuminated prnd321 thanks in advance

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
You can use a cluster from a Gas 2500 truck. They had the trans temp as well as the SS trucks.

You may run into issues using a diesel cluster in a gas truck. I know for 1 the tach is different between the two. i would imagine there is programing differences too.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I didn't even think about the tach good call. Did the 2500 gas cluster have tpms caplibiltiy?

That I don't know with stock 2500 programing. But they had the trans cooler and I know you can Program it as a 1500 and the trans cooler temp works correctly so I would think so.

The boards were pretty similar from what I Have seen. The ones with out the trans temp are missing a chip that has to be programed and the stepper motor.

From what I have been told the chip has to be programed prior to soldering it on to control the stepper.

It's not just a calibration change or a reflash that makes it work. The Guys that do it would not give me any more info. Just enough to explain why the guys that try do it themselves are unsuccessful on getting it to work when adding the chip and the stepper.

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
Hmmmm so where does the ecm read the trans temperature from when the tech2 is plugged in? I presume the pin is not there in the cluster connector end either? One would think that since all harness were practically the same the pins are there just not occupied. it's still a learning curve for me as I have access to schematics just never have time to study them as I'm running around diagnosing customer vehicles at work :eek:

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Hmmmm so where does the ecm read the trans temperature from when the tech2 is plugged in? I presume the pin is not there in the cluster connector end either? One would think that since all harness were practically the same the pins are there just not occupied. it's still a learning curve for me as I have access to schematics just never have time to study them as I'm running around diagnosing customer vehicles at work :eek:

The Sensor in the valve body. The data is there as you can see on the scan tool.

But to control the sweeper properly it needs a chip to interpret the signal.

At least this was my understanding. Let me find the thread where they guy shows the difference between the two boards.

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
Thank you 1fastbrick I'm excited to do this simple upgrade as it'll give me insight to how the temp fluctuates sure 4l60e are not Allison's but data is knowledge in my book

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The gas and diesel clusters are largely interchangeable. The tach will work on either one, but the diesel tach goes to 5,000 RPM while the has tach goes to 6,000. So you'll peg the tach if you run a diesel cluster on a gas engine. It will work fine otherwise, and read accurately.

The diesel cluster is the only one with the Overdrive Off light. I've seen the LED present in an 8.1L cluster, but the programming isn't there and it doesn't work. This won't matter for you, just general info.

Late model 2500 gas (and diesel) clusters have the TPMS light. I think just 2005-2006 clusters work, I haven't been able to make any 2003-2004 clusters run the TPMS light, even if I add it.

Finally, the general rule of thumb is you can run a newer cluster than the vehicle without problems, but not the other way. So a 2006 8.1L cluster in your 2005 will be fine, but a 2003 cluster might cause a battery drain or other issues.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk