The dummy

Steve Beilgard

Aug 30, 2020
I'm new here and will immediately lay claim to being the most ignorant mechanic here. 73 years old and a home builder, but I've always hated grease and greasy hands. Anyway, I bought a new 2003 duramax and loved it for 150,000 miles. So much so that I bought a new 2006 LTZ which now has 280,000 on it, complete with original brakes.
Last week I had a mechanic shop replace the rear U-joint and a oil/filter change. All was fine. Next day the truck was dead. Turn the ignition and no lights, no whistles, no starter, no anything. As a carpenter, I suspect a blown fuse but all fuses look normal. I put on a battery charger and both are full. (new interstates last year). I live on Prince of Wales island in Alaska, and it's 1 1/2 hours to any town and a $600.00 tow fee when needed. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Bad connection at batteries cables or ground. Remove the cables and engine grounds, clean up everything and reinstall. May need to load test the batteries too

Reactions: Steve Beilgard

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Did you check the main fuse in the block? You probably have to pull the fender brace out, then lift both the service cover and then the big clunky cover over the fuse block to get down to the mains. Since this is also where the main input from the batteries come into the clock, check for power here.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I had batteries die in 2 vehicle last week. In both they tested ok and had 12v, but wouldn’t start the vehicle. Wasted a bunch of time looking for a problem, but they worked fine after new batterie. It has been 100* here though too.

Reactions: Steve Beilgard

Steve Beilgard

Aug 30, 2020
Did you check the main fuse in the block? You probably have to pull the fender brace out, then lift both the service cover and then the big clunky cover over the fuse block to get down to the mains. Since this is also where the main input from the batteries come into the clock, check for power here.
I see a main fuse box in easy access under the hood. I just removed the top to see 40-50 different fuses, but nothing looked bad. Some were 1' square & tall and I could not tell if they are blown. I'll look again. I'm also on an island in Southeast Alaska, (rain forest) getting our 4th worst ever year record rain, going for the record. So It's out in a 1/4" an hour rain and has rained daily for the last 3 months. Maybe just the 100% constant humidity.

Steve Beilgard

Aug 30, 2020
I had batteries die in 2 vehicle last week. In both they tested ok and had 12v, but wouldn’t start the vehicle. Wasted a bunch of time looking for a problem, but they worked fine after new batterie. It has been 100* here though too.
I put in 2 new interstate batteries 2 years ago. Right now I get nothing when I put in the key. No lights, beeps, clock, radio, nothing.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Ignition switch die? Test the fuses with a test light, dont just "look" at them.
Like Tom said. You cannot look at them and tell they are good. I've seen plenty of bad batterys that were near new. Assume everything is wrong untill you prove it right.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I see a main fuse box in easy access under the hood. I just removed the top to see 40-50 different fuses, but nothing looked bad. Some were 1' square & tall and I could not tell if they are blown. I'll look again. I'm also on an island in Southeast Alaska, (rain forest) getting our 4th worst ever year record rain, going for the record. So It's out in a 1/4" an hour rain and has rained daily for the last 3 months. Maybe just the 100% constant humidity.
Did you check the mega fuse? Arrow pointing to it in the photo
2012-11-04_200426_175.png

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
In order to access the mega fuse, you will need to remove the fender brace and lift the entire fuse block cover off not just the customer service cover. I will try to get a pic form the 04 to point out what needs to be removed, but I cannot actually remove it right now as truck is in storage.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I put in 2 new interstate batteries 2 years ago. Right now I get nothing when I put in the key. No lights, beeps, clock, radio, nothing.
I haven’t gotten much more than two years out of a battery in over 12 years, but like I mentioned its hot here. One of them that just died was only 1year old.