LMM: Tech 2 Questions

CRAWLEN

Sep 29, 2017
been searching for a few days on here and other pages about a tech 2.

I'm looking at buying one currently, but have some questions.

looking at the price of genuine i don't think i want to spend that much. are there any good copy's out there, i have been stung by a copy before and had issues.

Been reading mixed info that the tech 2 can do a 2007.5 LMM, this is my main reason for buying one. i want to be able to make changes in the BCM,GPCM, adjustments for the trans like a relearn etc and pretty much everything else that can be done.

Also would like the possibility to program with it i understand this can be done, but im unsure what else is needed Tis2web supposedly for the LMM.

When buying one, what do i need to buy with it i understand i need the can adapter. but what software card is needed for the LMM. and updating the unit is done over tis2web is this correct.

sorry for so many question i just don't want to get stung with something that doesn't work or cause issues

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved to Tool Crib.

I own a China one. I've used it as a diagnostic tool, brake bleeder and such. It has done everything Ive asked of it so far. I keep hearing the China ones are hit-or-miss, though.

CRAWLEN

Sep 29, 2017
Buy a real one. Chinese will let you down.

yeah i guess just trying to find a genuine one is the hard part, only seen 2 and there bloody expensive.

found the vetronix ones seem a decent price, and from what i have read they are the real thing.

yeah have had a Chinese one do that before but thought there might be a decent one out there

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
I've got a china one I would sell you that I know works. But I have never tried to link it to TIS for programming or updates.

I know the knock offs are hit or miss, but this one has never let me down over the years, just doesn't work with my LML.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
yeah i guess just trying to find a genuine one is the hard part, only seen 2 and there bloody expensive.

found the vetronix ones seem a decent price, and from what i have read they are the real thing.

yeah have had a Chinese one do that before but thought there might be a decent one out there

Vetronix is the real deal. We have a genuine Tech 2 at our shop and while it doesn't get used as much as it used to the thing is worth its weight in gold.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Chinese clone's are hit and miss, Vetronix was the old vendor and is also one of the most cloned versions. I have also seen a few Bosch knock offs.

You need to understand what the tool can and can not do.

It's the Dealer factory service tool.

Yes it can Push Factory Programing to the Vehicle

No, you can not change and adjust those files with the Tech 2.

Will it allow you to turn options on and off? Yes. But only temporarily in bidirectional mode for testing and diagnostic purposes. Again you can not customize the factory programing on these vehicles with this tool. That requires aftermarket software.

As for programing. You can only program the latest Updated factory file from GM. It does not allow you to go backwards.

You can get copies of the old Tis2web software with the programing files but its only up to date to around 08. You can not access the raw file directly Nor can you edit it through the Tis program or through the Tech 2 tool.

For the 07 -up model's you need the "CANDI" Module to communicate on the CAN network.

Why is this tool valuable? It allows bidirectional control over most system's for diagnostic purpose and also after completing some repairs.

You can Bleed the ABS system after a brake job.
Do a transmission relearn after a repair or replacement.
You can program a tire size other than factory to accommodate different size tires to correct the speedo. This also affects the Abs sensitivity with larger tires.
On Gas vehicles you can do a Crank relearn.
You can test the Emissions system to see if it is sealing properly.
You can cut an injector off one cylinder at a time and see if affects the way the engine runs.
You can log cylinder misfires.
Monitor various sensors and there performance.
You can take over and control various functions of the vehicle with the tool for diagnostic purposes.

Any way hope this helps you better understand what it's capable of. :beer

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
1 fast brick don't forget hvac actuator learn and ipc guage diag as well as multiple other test for concerns

Yes! Thanks. I also forgot about the TPMS system on the later vehicles as well :thumb:

Lots of people are under the impression that they are going to modify factory calibrations files or add options with out paying someone to flash a file with just this tool alone.

It's very powerful for what it is. But people need to know It isn't a replacement for the aftermarket tuning capabilities. Lots of the scan tool companies have been able to duplicate most of its capabilities.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I have a sico clone and have had good luck with it so far. I use it for scanning, adjusting tire size in the abs, and factory test/special functions, but I use my V2 for all my flashing/tuning duties. It has a few quirks, but so far works great, and has accessed everything I've hooked it to. I mainly bought it to scan my abs since my 95 is a bastard that is only readable by a tech2 or a handfull of aftermarket high end scanners. That said, I recommended one to somebody else, he bought one, but got it from ebay for the promise of quicker shipping, and his will only connect to pcm's or ecm's. It won't even recognize the other onboard modules which was a bummer because he bought it to read his abs and transfer case. But I tried telling him to buy from sico and not ebay.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Brick, thanks for that explanation of what it can and cant do. I think thats the first time someone wrote a post explaining it in detail. :thumb:

matthew86

Mar 16, 2018
Eastern WA
Is this the SICO unit being referred to? It’s the same link as above, But it says in the description that it works on all GM systems in applicable years etc, but specifically states it only works on cars, not trucks. The unit is under their car diagnostics tab. The truck one is all Cummins/Volvo stuff, no GM. Is there something else I’m missing?

https://www.sicotool.com/best-quali...r-gm-saab-opel-suzuki-isuzu-holden_p0057.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: Never mind, I kept going down the threads that came up after searching through tech 2 and found direct answers to this question. But I did get to read the entire “who has had issues with amsoil” thread on the way there and got a little entertainment from that.

Last edited:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Is this the SICO unit being referred to? It’s the same link as above, But it says in the description that it works on all GM systems in applicable years etc, but specifically states it only works on cars, not trucks. The unit is under their car diagnostics tab. The truck one is all Cummins/Volvo stuff, no GM. Is there something else I’m missing?

https://www.sicotool.com/best-quali...r-gm-saab-opel-suzuki-isuzu-holden_p0057.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: Never mind, I kept going down the threads that came up after searching through tech 2 and found direct answers to this question. But I did get to read the entire “who has had issues with amsoil” thread on the way there and got a little entertainment from that.
That's the one I have and can say mine works and does everything. When they say truck's, I think they're talking about semi's, not pickups. The tune files I've been able to flash and save have more than covered the cost of the tech2 to me.