Surge at idle

Dazedandconfused

Lost in the diesel smoke.
Jul 26, 2007
Nothern Ky
Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. My truck has a surge at idle and under very light aceleration. Its not constent sometimes its every 10-15 seconds and sometimes it wont do it at all. It surges about 50RPMs when it does it. I'm new to the Duramax world after owning Cummins trucks so be patient with me.:D

Andy

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
When was the fuel filter changed? Might want to try that first.

Alot of issues can be traced to the fuel filter.

Could also check injector balance rates, or the fuel psi regulator.

Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge of the fuel system will weigh in.

Dazedandconfused

Lost in the diesel smoke.
Jul 26, 2007
Nothern Ky
Two weeks ago when I got it I changed all fluids and fliters on the truck. It does it wether the AC is on or off. I think it is a the fuel PSI regulator. It does not smoke at all and there is not a strong smell of burnt fuel coming out the exhaust so I think that eliminates a major injector problem. The truck was 100% stock until two weeks ago.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The only way to find out if it is a fuel pressure problem is to get something to datalog the engine to see what it is doing. There are probably some members near you that have EFILive that could help you.

Krazykid

<-Daily Thought Process
Nov 22, 2008
Upstate, SC
I have a very similar issue. My question now is the fuel PSI regulator the same part number for 2001-2005 trucks?