Allison 6sp: Suncoast "whirring" spoolup

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Trans gurus. Last dirt drag I went to used my dhd lock up box for the first time and noticed at the track after my first pass that when I would spool the transmission area would have a loud whirring sound just happen to power brake it tonight and I heard it again loud and clear you can also hear something when you cut the truck off that is spinning and making a small rattle inside the transmission everything shifts great no codes converter locks up fine any input on this guys? Nothing but problems here lately suncoast 1058 with billet stator

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Anybody? Spoolup is just like a loud whirrrr. the 1058 has the billet stator i know its not indestructible but i dont think ive beat on it that bad

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Mike, thanks for the input, started last saturday. put new filter in when i did the springs sunday. still does it

Huffy67

Dec 26, 2014
Arkansas
Is there a possibility of the down pipe touching the firewall and the noise you're hearing is the turbo spinning? Mine was like that for a while, and while I didn't have the whirring, I DID have the spinning noise slowing down when I cut the truck off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That sounds like an exhaust leak prior to the turbo or something turbo related on the exhaust aide

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
I will inspect the downpipe connections I didn't see any soot there . stg2r is pretty fresh on there too

Huffy67

Dec 26, 2014
Arkansas
I bet the downpipe or exhaust is touching somewhere since the turbo is recent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
Kyle are you speaking of the little tab on the bottom where it mounts to the engine? Mines never been bolted there. I'm going to do some investigating today