Stupid Rust

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
So, here is something I know some of us can relate to. Rust. I'm not perfect, but I keep the truck decently clean year round, especially with the snow/ice melt spray mix they put down on the roads that rots the already brittle metal/paint (LMM). My rear DS fender well has the rust of death starting on it. One area just above the lip is bubbling but the rust on the fender lip is taking off like crazy. The other fenders and rockers actually don't look half bad. Do I have any recommendations as to what I can do with this? I don't feel like I should pop the paint bubble as I know rust is waiting on the other side and it is at least covered for now. My initial thought was sand it/clean it up the best I can, primer the metal, find some paint matched spray and a can of clear and tape off the upper fender from the lip. Then just go about it that way..I'm absolutely not a paint guy, so any ideas would be appreciated. I've watched several YouTube videos on rust repair-ish, but I'd like to hear from anyone here who have experience with this crappy paint first hand. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
bcf38443209678dceb58299d5be1ac94.jpg
85108f47ce0df432ee057e3b0682da3f.jpg
fec7253ac0d7245f4a6fff55196941a4.jpg

Last edited:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
There's not much you can do. My rcsb just started as well, it's a 2010, I bit the bullet and had the entire truck repainted. We dug into it and stopped the rust behind the tail lights, rockers and wheel wells. Mine was just kicking off so it was basically just surface rust though. If you take care of it now the truck won't slowly disappear on you.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Nothings going to stop it. Probably clean the crap out of it wire wheel etc. Make sure to get both sides of the lip. Hit it with some rusty metal primer and rattle can with color matched paint. It will com back...maybe 5 years...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
These trucks rust from the inside out. You wont see it coming until it pops thru the panel. Rockers, cab corners, the fender behind the wheel well liners and behind the fender flares, oh...and the tailgate are the most common.

The oddest one I see is the middle of the box side from the flare moving up towards the rail in a line. How does that happen?

Meh, one of these summers Ill buy the inner and outer rockers and cab corners and get to it, then go buy a box from somewhere SW.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
For sure pop the paint bubbles now, otherwise moisture will just hide and make it worse. Get all the loose scale off and coat it with Fluid Film until you can "fix" it.

Even if you don't use a Por-15 type coating, they make a metal prep mix that is supposed to leave a very good surface to paint over.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
For sure pop the paint bubbles now, otherwise moisture will just hide and make it worse. Get all the loose scale off and coat it with Fluid Film until you can "fix" it.

Even if you don't use a Por-15 type coating, they make a metal prep mix that is supposed to leave a very good surface to paint over.

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
There's not much you can do. My rcsb just started as well, it's a 2010, I bit the bullet and had the entire truck repainted. We dug into it and stopped the rust behind the tail lights, rockers and wheel wells. Mine was just kicking off so it was basically just surface rust though. If you take care of it now the truck won't slowly disappear on you.
How much did it cost you to get the truck repainted?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk