Stuck Vanes-Does the Edge CTS2 Reading Desired Vane Position or Actual Vane Position?

nskyline34

Nov 27, 2010
Seattle
2006 LBZ with 280k on it. Long story short I pulled the turbo out of my truck last weekend and as I expected, I found the vanes were stuck. (If you want the long version of the story and the battles I've been having towing - feel free to read: https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84177)

Do we know for sure what the Edge CTS monitor is displaying for the VPS? Is it actual position or desired position? The reason I ask is because on my CTS monitor, Vane Position Sensor (VPS) would go from 0% under WOT to 100% when towing with the exhaust brake on, but when I pulled the turbo apart the unison ring was stuck? All the vanes were fine and I removed them, but the ring was really stuck and when I tried to spin it by hand I couldnt get it to budge. I had to gently pry it off and took a whole lot of work with sanding discs and a wire wheel to get everything cleaned up and rotating freely. Truck seemed a little laggy, and felt like it signed off a little early, which would make sense considering I found the unison ring was stuck around half way open.

Is that vane solenoid capable of putting out some serious force to move things or...? A little stumped about how I could be seeing the screen show the vanes moving, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how anything could have made that unison ring spin. lol

Thoughts?

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
It must read actual. At key on engine off my cts2 shows 61% vpos. I plugged in scan tool and look at the pids, actual is 62% and desired is 0.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk