Stuck spare tire hoist

gastan

Aug 28, 2019
Portland OR metro
Took the truck to Discount Tires last week for a complete set of new shoes, including the spare. I purchased this truck about 18 months ago. I have never dropped the spare but it looks like the OE one that left the factory in 2007. :oops:

Discount Tire couldn't mount the spare. The hoist is corroded and the safety mechanism won't disengage. They could only get the spare to lower 3-4 inches and didn't know what to do. They said, "the anti-theft feature is stuck - take it to the dealer." When I got home and tried, I can't get it to lower at all. After Youtubing I see there are many vids on how to get a corroded mechanism to release - - but I can't get the tire to lower enough to get to that mechanism.

Any hints or tips on this problem? My last resort will be deflate the spare and drag a sawzall under there and cut the damn tire off the wheel and see if I can get to the safety mechanism.

Second issue is that once I get to it, I might as well R&R it and get a functioning, non-corroded hoist again. Any good sources for one? There are some cheap ones on Amazon but I am leary of knock-offs. Dorman is half the price of an OE hoist and a brand I have heard of - - is it any good?

Thanks in advance.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
The safety latch is probably rusted almost solid... If you take a ratchet strap or two and strap the tire into place so it doesn't start to drop when you lower the cable, you should be able to get in there with a long screwdriver or something and manipulate the latch.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DAVe3283

MD_Max

Need More LLY's
May 2, 2014
I've had this on a couple trucks that were rusted bad. I just cut it off and put another one on it

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Just cut the cable, remove tire, replace tire hoist

This is exactly what to do. Here in the rust belt this is extremely common practice. Hell, on roadside spare tire swaps I bring a mini oxy torch with because 9 out of 10 times the hoist is rusted solid and wont ever move.

Reactions: gastan

gastan

Aug 28, 2019
Portland OR metro
. . . because 9 out of 10 times the hoist is rusted solid and wont ever move.
Yeah, I'm sure you are right. I'm the 3rd owner. 1st was upstate New York, 2nd was Michigan - - both in the rust belt.
Truck went into shop yesterday afternoon for some work and they will cut the cable and toss the spare into the bed for me for now. Better for them to do it - - they have a lift and people to help hold things. At 74 years old, I don't enjoy being on my back under a truck anymore.

Thanks for the responses. Does anyone have a good source for a replacement hoist?