Street tire pressure for Nitto 420s: poor wear

08liftedHD

Jan 5, 2012
Hi all,

What pressure do you guys run in your Nitto 420s tires for street/DD? I have been running 42-45psi and am getting excessive center (middle of tread) wear with less wear towards outsides of tire, assuming this means I'm over-inflated....

Truck has 305/50/20s on a 20x10in rim.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Bout 42 still get inner wear but less pressure and it has a lot of roll when cornering. I just deal with it. The way I drive I barely get 5k miles out of mine anyway.

08liftedHD

Jan 5, 2012
Bout 42 still get inner wear but less pressure and it has a lot of roll when cornering. I just deal with it. The way I drive I barely get 5k miles out of mine anyway.

I’m around 5-7k a set. Don’t drive too crazy.

Its a pain in the ass though, I have to put truck on jack stands every time because no tire shop will put an D rated tire on a truck that needs an E load rating.

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida

you already answered your own question though... those tires arnt designed for our trucks:thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I’m around 5-7k a set. Don’t drive too crazy.

Its a pain in the ass though, I have to put truck on jack stands every time because no tire shop will put an D rated tire on a truck that needs an E load rating.
Yep same, I got a shop that will do it no questions asked as long I just bring in the wheels and tires.
http://www.procarcare.com/images/shar/encyclopedia/8852oc1.gi

you already answered your own question though... those tires arnt designed for our trucks:thumb:

They are not E rated but have a higher load rating than alot of E rated tires. But that's not what the OP asked so why did you feel the need to muck up his thread.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Did anyone else think it hilarious that the o/p is asking about tire wear yet has a picture of his truck doing a huge burnout in his sig? :roflmao:

I was thinking, "Well yeah, of course they wear out faster"

08liftedHD

Jan 5, 2012
Did anyone else think it hilarious that the o/p is asking about tire wear yet has a picture of his truck doing a huge burnout in his sig? :roflmao:

I was waiting for someone to say that!!! You win.

That was for an 8-lug HD magazine shoot. And also 35x12.50 toyo trailgrapplers.

I swear I normally don’t roast them (much).

08liftedHD

Jan 5, 2012

....and thanks for calling my burnout “huge”. Don’t make me blush.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Lmao. I gave up on street tires. Now I just find the at blocks get sheared off on a good burnout lol. I think all tires are destined for doom on these trucks haha

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
The math says it should be about 36 psi front and 20 rear but that is based of of a guess on what your truck weights

Tire weight rating at 50 psi = 3086. That is 61.72 lbs of weight capacity per every psi in the tire

Front 4500 lbs?

61.72 x two tires = 123.44 lbs

4500 / 123.44 = 36.45 psi

Rear 2500 lbs?

2500 / 123.44 = 20.25 psi

I use this method on my truck and it worked. Of course run the math with your trucks actual weight

It is a little soft so you may want to bump it up a little

Also you can chalk the tires and see what psi works for even wear too

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
The math says it should be about 36 psi front and 20 rear but that is based of of a guess on what your truck weights

Tire weight rating at 50 psi = 3086. That is 61.72 lbs of weight capacity per every psi in the tire

Front 4500 lbs?

61.72 x two tires = 123.44 lbs

4500 / 123.44 = 36.45 psi

Rear 2500 lbs?

2500 / 123.44 = 20.25 psi

I use this method on my truck and it worked. Of course run the math with your trucks actual weight

It is a little soft so you may want to bump it up a little

Also you can chalk the tires and see what psi works for even wear too

If you use the calculator it doesn't work on these tires, at that psi with what year trucks weigh they will not last long at all, probably half as long as they would at 45 psi

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
If you use the calculator it doesn't work on these tires, at that psi with what year trucks weigh they will not last long at all, probably half as long as they would at 45 psi

no calculator, just some simple math.

you are likely right that the pressure will not be right and the tires won't last long at that psi. but... it may be a good starting point for marking the tires with chalk and seeing how it rubs off and then adjusting from there

unloaded (truck & tires in sig) i run about 45 in the front and 25 in the rear. wear still slightly in the middle but not bad.

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Yep same, I got a shop that will do it no questions asked as long I just bring in the wheels and tires.

They are not E rated but have a higher load rating than alot of E rated tires. But that's not what the OP asked so why did you feel the need to muck up his thread.

Tried posting link to site for all types of wear problems and solutions but just ended up with a picture:confused:
As for mucking up the thread well I was trying to offer help but apparently failed my bad
:hug:

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Tried posting link to site for all types of wear problems and solutions but just ended up with a picture:confused:
As for mucking up the thread well I was trying to offer help but apparently failed my bad
:hug:

Wasn't being a dick intentionally I just don't like when people say you shouldn't run it. I don't agree with the tire being rated a D if its load rating is more of an E, but it's because the tread is soft and doesn't tow well at all and wears fast.

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO

At the end of the day what more use are 420's? When your tires have only as many layers as Charmin Ultra your pushing practicality out the door....should spent the money on the G2's...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
At the end of the day what more use are 420's? When your tires have only as many layers as Charmin Ultra your pushing practicality out the door....should spent the money on the G2's...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Says the guy running the most ridiculous wheel/tire setup I've ever seen on here