Strange noise at idle in gear

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
My step dad bought a 2018 Colorado diesel a little over a year ago which he loves, but I was in it a few weeks ago and noticed an odd noise when the truck is stopped in gear (like at a stop light). It sort of sounds like something vibrating under the truck or in the engine compartment but not exactly. It’s kind of hard to describe, but it does not sound normal. As soon as you let off the brake or put the transmission in neutral, the noise stops. Has anyone else experienced any similar noises? He asked the dealership to look into it, and of course, they were of no help. I’m going to see if I can find anything, but I’m hoping maybe someone has dealt with this before and can point me in a direction on where to look. Thanks guys!

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It’s tough to describe, and it’s been a while since I heard it. From what I recall, it’s sort of a hollow thumping sound with a slight metallic rattle to it. I’ll try to get a video and peek around for something obvious.

DylOrr

May 26, 2010
Kinderhook, IL
My brothers lml has a similar noise. Could have swore it was a heat shield, but it is the belt. It only happens at idle in drive. New belt and tensioner and it still does it. It’s just loud enough to be crazy annoying.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Based on that, Dylan, could it possibly be a pulley out of alignment, like how we used to have to deal with the PS pulleys back on the LB7s?

DylOrr

May 26, 2010
Kinderhook, IL
Based on that, Dylan, could it possibly be a pulley out of alignment, like how we used to have to deal with the PS pulleys back on the LB7s?

It didn’t look like it at a quick glance. The belt is “wagging” and making a vibration noise. I can just set my finger on it and it stops. We haven’t looked too closely at it.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Kinda like what your Allison sounded like.:roflmao:

i wasnt even going to attempt to make those noises over the phone :roflmao:

My buddies L5P does the same thing. Sounds almost like a heat shroud rattling. Not consistent.

what year and how many miles on it Luke?

my 2020 hasnt made any weird noises other than what sounds like a bbq igniter going off every sec or so in the exhaust under the cab.

MADD*MAX

Sep 23, 2012
Alberta
I have a 2018 canyon with the 2.8l and I have had a similar thumping noise and vibration intermitenly. It's more pronounced in reverese but I can also feel and hear it in drive. In park it pretty much goes away.The vibration feels like its coming from right under the driver side floor board. I'd really like to figure this out aswell. Its been to the dealer twice but it acts up while they have it. This is on my 2018 canyon with the 2.8L duramax.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I did a little more digging into it yesterday trying to find the source, and I took a short video that I uploaded to youtube. The noise goes away as soon as you put the trans in neutral or raise the RPM slightly (you can hear it come and go in the video). In the video you can hear it go away as soon as he gives it just a little throttle. The noise is actually a lot louder than it sounds in the video, but I couldn't hear it outside the cab over the engine noise. I felt around the back of the motor trying to find something rubbing, but I had no luck. We also put the trans in reverse, and we couldn't hear it. It seems to only make the noise while in drive. No comments about my white legs! :mad::rofl:

[youtube]IYch99tKwDY[/youtube]

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
i wasnt even going to attempt to make those noises over the phone :roflmao:

what year and how many miles on it Luke?

my 2020 hasnt made any weird noises other than what sounds like a bbq igniter going off every sec or so in the exhaust under the cab.

19. Did it since I helped him pick it up. Real similar like you describe yours.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
I’ve had a couple different noises with these trucks. One was air intake duct against fender liner and the other was the heater pipes by firewall area. And both only did it in gear in my stall. Hope this helps if any