Straight axle vs indepent

Skyhigh4by

Goin to Poochisloose
Apr 13, 2008
Powell River, BC
SA cant compare to the ride of our IFS but like said before...off road capability,ease of lifting, and durability are great things about them. If my truck wasnt a DD and I had the money I would consider a SAS but until then I will keep my IFS and be quite happy with the comfort my truck offers me:D

02freighttrain

Team Salad Bartender
Aug 13, 2006
sootville, Fl
our front ends are screwed from the get-go. GM missed the mark on some of the componets, But there is hope with all the upgrades that have come along. Has anyone ever broke a front IFS diff?.
Probably, but I've never heard of one. It's a 9-1/4 inch Ring gear and that ain't shabby.
The ride quality and independent nature of the IFS is hard to beat either at the track or sled pull's.

IFS get's my vote.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
IFS all the way. Is it weaker and more complicated than a solid front axle? Yeah. But I dont do hard core offroading and jumping in my 23 foot long 7600lb daily driver pickup, so who cares?

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
Here is the reason for my consern. I have a straight axle to put under my 94 chevy i can not find a exhaust maifold for one is one reason i am thinking about switching. And for two i dont like the idea of switching gears with tongue switch. I have a 700r4 transmission and transfer case that will go with straight axle. Everything is half backwards with the straight axle. The ifs on my truck everything is on the left side. With the straight axle everything is on the right side. And plus i will have a auto that shifts by its self

Skyhigh4by

Goin to Poochisloose
Apr 13, 2008
Powell River, BC
Here is the reason for my consern. I have a straight axle to put under my 94 chevy i can not find a exhaust maifold for one is one reason i am thinking about switching. And for two i dont like the idea of switching gears with tongue switch. I have a 700r4 transmission and transfer case that will go with straight axle. Everything is half backwards with the straight axle. The ifs on my truck everything is on the left side. With the straight axle everything is on the right side. And plus i will have a auto that shifts by its self

I once wanted to do this with my 90 2500. I did alot of research and found that you either need a ford axle or get another t-case that has the reverse side output. IE NP205. I understand that once you have all the parts together the swap is really quite straight forward.