Stock CP3? modded CP3? or Regulator?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So the old dmax has 156k on the stock cp3 and its had a chip on it for most of it life (since 20k) so the cp3 has taken some abuse over the years. well after getting EFI Live and puttin some big tunes on it, i logged some data and can see im not holding rail pressure. on the big race tune im droppin to 17k with a demand of 23k. I have since had Mike (mmlmm) build a different tune that makes the most of this old cp3 but i wanna get all she can out the stock turbo while i save for twin turbos.

Now heres my delima. Should i buy a stock CP3? a modded cp3? or try a modded reg first?

i do not plan on makin much more than 600hp when the twins come due to the worry of shortening rods and when the time come to do a motor i really dont wanna be much over 700-800hp max. the twins are there more for towing and droppin egts while still giving me some damn good towing power lol. I also maybe plan on doin 20-40% max on injectors and only when these stockers are shot (which shouldnt be long as we all know how lb7s like their injectors for dinner).

so here i am in a delima. I go with a stocker and hope it holds the rail pressure i wnat but i dunno what a stocker can support up to. Or i get a wicked diesel stage 1 or possibly stage 2 cp3 and it should hold up to the modds im planning. Or i try throwing a modded reg at it and see what my stocker picks up to.

My only prob with puttin a modded reg on is i dunno how to tell if my stock reg is bad. under a commanded 160 mPa at idle i get 21k with a demand of 23k. my current tune is only 2800pw and its barely holding 20k at WOT. is there any way i can test the FPR without throwing a new one on or am i s.o.l? i hate to just buy parts and hope it fixes it. im a mechanic (not a parts replacer) so its really hard for me to justify just throwin a part on and crossin my fingers

thanks for the help guys. hope i gave enough info. if you need more let me know

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Sounds like the CP3 could be a little weak. Most of the time when a regulator goes bad it makes the idle lope & surge and sometimes you get a code. I don't see that you have shimmed the rail relief or installed a race valve, maybe the relief is a little weak & dumping rail pressure??

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If I was you I'd go with a brand new LBZ cp3

why is the LBZ cp3 better? if you dont mind me askin

Sounds like the CP3 could be a little weak. Most of the time when a regulator goes bad it makes the idle lope & surge and sometimes you get a code. I don't see that you have shimmed the rail relief or installed a race valve, maybe the relief is a little weak & dumping rail pressure??

i had a surge/lope sice the day my dad pciked it off the show room floor. Its not big, you only notice it if you pay attention to it in park. Now as for the relief and race valve i have only heard the LLYs and up need that done to them. from what ive gathered the LB7 is very hard to make the FPRV pop off and allow fuel pressure by. I guess i can try a bottle test as it cant hurt

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
why is the LBZ cp3 better? if you dont mind me askin

i had a surge/lope sice the day my dad pciked it off the show room floor. Its not big, you only notice it if you pay attention to it in park. Now as for the relief and race valve i have only heard the LLYs and up need that done to them. from what ive gathered the LB7 is very hard to make the FPRV pop off and allow fuel pressure by. I guess i can try a bottle test as it cant hurt

LBZ cp3 flows more than lb7/lly pumps and an increase of 3000psi

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Do you think that it will be enough for down the road when i do a bit bigger injectors and twins? so instead of having a max of 23k it would bump it to 26k now? sorry if im bringing up repetitve questions but i wanna make sure i understand exactlly so i dont give false info down the road ya know

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
several guys have gone 11's with MPI small twins , 30 overs, and stock cp3's.... if you really want a modified single then call Shane at Wicked Diesel and its going to cost you 1700$

Last edited:

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
I am in the same boat you are in right now i cant really hold rail pressure well and i have around the same mileage. when i am ready i will be replacing my CP3 most likely with an LBZ pump.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
several guys have gone 11's with MPI small twins , 30 overs, and stock cp3's.... if you really want a modified single then call Shane at Wicked Diesel and its going to cost you 1700$

Hmm i didnt know that! ive been kinda stuck in this idea that im gunna have to get a modded cp3 to get the fuel i want down the road. I guess i thought the CP3s were all the same but hell in that case ill start lookin for a new LBZ cp3 and reg. thanks nick! :hug::D

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Hmm i didnt know that! ive been kinda stuck in this idea that im gunna have to get a modded cp3 to get the fuel i want down the road. I guess i thought the CP3s were all the same but hell in that case ill start lookin for a new LBZ cp3 and reg. thanks nick! :hug::D

No problem man:D

SDP

AKA Dmax15
Dec 20, 2008
Port Angeles, WA
I would go with a stock LBZ CP3 like Paint said. You can run well over your goal of 600 with a stock CP3. I run nearly 600 on my street tune with twins and a stock CP3 so you should be able to get there being a little conservative on the tuning, no need for a modded regulator.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
thanks guys! tony burkhard has a slightly used LMM cp3 im gunna pick up. jsut gotta get the cash together