stock cam specs

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Guy Tripp at SoCal Diesel might know. There also might be a thread somewhere that says the duration numbers.

Problem with diesel cams is they are secretive with the numbers, unlike the gas industry.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Actually the easiest way to measure a cam is with a dial indicator and degree wheel while it's still in the block. Doing it on a bench is very difficult without special tools.

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
in the block is one thing,,, while said block is still in truck is a pita (IMO) lol. guess I shouldn't have assumed it was. I have a simple little bench top jig I lay the cams in. Not bad really I just dont like climbing into and engine bay to do it.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
If you are not compensating for the lifter geometry (not much error with roller lifters), the numbers will have a little error in them, indicating a shorter duration than really exists.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
If you have a LONG travel indicator, you do it without the heads on and a lifter in the bore. Set indicator dial to 0.000" with the lobe 180° away from the lifter. You are just looking for the first movement of the indicator, jot down the degree wheel number (bolt a piece of wire on the block to use as a pointer), then spin til it hits the same number (which should stay steady). If it doesn't come back to the same indicator 0.000", reposition indicator and try again. Get the same # 3 times, and you have your "zero lash, zero lift" number.

In practical reality, there are mfr variations, so allow the indicator to get to say ±.002" to be considered zero.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com

Look in here. 176 deg at .050" lift, 108 LSA?

Last edited by a moderator: