Stock 2002 LB7 ZF6 tune

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
Each segment is unique in the tune file depending on what the truck is built with.

When you look at the tune file in EFI-Live software there is a number and description of each segment.

Main OS, System, Fuel, Diagnostics, Speedometer, etc.

Each truck requires a specific combination of segments so that the vehicles options and gauges work correctly.

If you have a truck with a 26 gallon tank and a 34 gallon tank segment is used the gauge will read incorrectly.

If you have a manual TC truck and use the wrong system segment the 4x4 indicator may not light up and the front axle may not engage.

If you have the wrong diagnostic segment for a Federal Emissions truck and then you load a CALIFORNIA Emissions tune in it will throw all kinds of codes.

Things like Cruise Control may not work, AC may not engage, all kinds of problems because the wrong tune is used.

Many tuners do not know this, and if they do they may at times just keep reselling the same tune over and over and over again and again no matter what the truck is supposed to have because it's quick and easy, but wrong to do.

I do not pre-load Autocals or V2's for this reason, I want the correct tune to be sent to the customer so they have no problems.

I am sure you read about all the issues with people that their stuff stops working after they get tuned from "TUNER X, Y or Z", well now you know why, because most likely the tuner used a wrong tune and just swapped a VIN# and emailed it off.

I have TIS Access so that I can get the correct stock tune and verify the VIN# against the tune I get back from the customer after a read file is sent so I avoid all these issues.

It takes a little longer but I never have issues.

:thumb:

Gone Nomad

On a Time Out
Sep 29, 2011
Each segment is unique in the tune file depending on what the truck is built with....
...I get the correct stock tune and verify the VIN# against the tune I get back from the customer after a read file is sent so I avoid all these issues.

It takes a little longer but I never have issues.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that.
Now that I found the word "segment" (as shown in the screen captures below) I see how that relates to the overall scheme in the EFILive tuning software. That clarifies what I understood about the EFILive tuning software: it allows access to some, but not all, of the parameters in an ECM calibration.
The only way to make sure the parameters that EFILive cannot access will match the specific options on the vehicle that the tune is supposed to work with is use the correct segments, or better yet, the correct base tune, for the vehicle. So, that is why, as you pointed out, that it's always safer to start with the correct calibration (tune) file for the specific vehicle.
Otherwise, there is a risk of something not working correctly, even if every value that can be changed in the EFILive software has been changed to match the vehicle.
But sometimes, people have a reason to use different base tunes or segments. And that's where this thread was headed before newbie me interrupted it.

For those to whom a picture is worth a thousand words (at least, it always helps me to see what it looks like)
Some of the segments shown on the right below correspond to the categories of parameters (on the left) that can be adjusted...
attachment.php

But there are more segments listed on the right than in the list on the left. So, EFILive cannot access all the segments.
And, even in those segments which EFILive can access some of the parameters, there are other parameters that it cannot alter, and which must match the specific options on the vehicle in order for everything to work properly.

I assume that the specific parameters EFILive allows access to (such as fuel tank size)
attachment.php

do over-ride the corresponding default values for the same parameters in the corresponding segments. That's how EFILive works in general.
It's those other parameters that EFILive does not allow to be changed that are the problem if using the wrong segment for a particular vehicle.

Attachments

• EFILive segments.PNG
    EFILive segments.PNG
    18.3 KB · Views: 85
  • EFILive parameters.PNG
    EFILive parameters.PNG
    21.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
You can change the segments of the ones that don't match even in the fields that aren't listed in the tuning portion. If you open a tune file that has the wrong segment in it, but is the base file you want to create. You can open other tune files of the same operating system number in the compare mode, then go up to edit and scroll down to copy entire segment. Then you click it and select the segment you want to swap from the compare file to the base file and select it. This will allow you to swap in segments that you can't see to build up a tune file. I learned about this from the gasser tuning as they can take say a 6.0L tune file and swap in a segment fro ma 5.3L file to make it work with a 4L60E trans instead of the 4L80E. I also used this to build up a DURABURB tune file for factory dual tanks, dual zone climate control, and the 4X4 indicator in the cluster to come on. When your building custom tune files it adds a whole nother degree of fun to it.

Gone Nomad

On a Time Out
Sep 29, 2011
In other words, it's possible in EFILive to swap/exchange segments from one tune to another, and that should work OK as long as the operating systems segment ID # is the same for all of the tune files involved (donor files and the target file).

It's a little confusing because of the way I've seen some other people refer "operating system" in this context, as if the operating system was the entire calibration, but in fact, now I see that, just as on a PC, the operating system on an ECM is really just a part of the total "software" package that we refer to as a calibration or tune file.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
In other words, it's possible in EFILive to swap/exchange segments from one tune to another, and that should work OK as long as the operating systems segment ID # is the same for all of the tune files involved (donor files and the target file).

It's a little confusing because of the way I've seen some other people refer "operating system" in this context, as if the operating system was the entire calibration, but in fact, now I see that, just as on a PC, the operating system on an ECM is really just a part of the total "software" package that we refer to as a calibration or tune file.

Yep, GM used only a few different OS, but hundreds if not thousands of different segments depending on how the truck was equipped. EFILIVE gives us the ability to make custom tunes that GM never offerred(like the DURABURB tune I talked about). I've been lucky with segment swaps working for me, but others haven't been so lucky. What would be really neat was if we had something like TUNERPRO but for modern OBD2 tune files. Then you could see the raw HEX code for each line of code i nthe ECM. The hard part is breaking down what is waht, and then assigning values to the hex code that make sense.

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
You need to look at the segment numbers, not the 4 digit code. The segment numbers is what makes a tuen file what it is. And you cannot compare different OS numbers as the segment numbers will not match up. GM used to offer the TIS site for free to look up the segment numbers you needed to look for which would allow you to build your tune file, but they now do it by subscription only.

The free version still works too. Google GM tis2web and click on the top of google "calibration lookup"

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
Yep, GM used only a few different OS, but hundreds if not thousands of different segments depending on how the truck was equipped. EFILIVE gives us the ability to make custom tunes that GM never offerred(like the DURABURB tune I talked about). I've been lucky with segment swaps working for me, but others haven't been so lucky. What would be really neat was if we had something like TUNERPRO but for modern OBD2 tune files. Then you could see the raw HEX code for each line of code i nthe ECM. The hard part is breaking down what is waht, and then assigning values to the hex code that make sense.

That is pretty well what I do for the LML platform. 1 OS and then just match proper segments. Saves me tons of time with the .cax I use.

Gone Nomad

On a Time Out
Sep 29, 2011
tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web

re: calid.gm.com
http://tis2web.service.gm.com

I know I tried it a few months back and it wouldn't even open for me. I'll try it again the next time I do one.
I had tried that a couple days ago and it didn't work.
I tried it yesterday and it worked fine.
Today it didn't work at first, then it started working.
I cleared the browser cache, etc., in between each attempt.
So I guess maybe an intermittent problem is just because their server doesn't respond.

Just to clarify, if it is working, anyone can look up a VIN to see if there's any newer calibrations,
but a paid subscription is needed to actually download any of those files (from there, or anywhere else)?
In other words, there is no online repository for oem calibration files other than sites like Tune File Depot?

Last edited:

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
re: calid.gm.com
http://tis2web.service.gm.com

I had tried that a couple days ago and it didn't work.
I tried it yesterday and it worked fine.
Today it didn't work at first, then it started working.
I cleared the browser cache, etc., in between each attempt.
So I guess maybe an intermittent problem is just because their server doesn't respond.

Just to clarify, if it is working, anyone can look up a VIN to see if there's any newer calibrations,
but a paid subscription is needed to actually download any of those files (from there, or anywhere else)?
In other words, there is no online repository for oem calibration files other than sites like Tune File Depot?

You need a subscription and either a TECH2 or a Mongoose Cable to flash an ecm or tcm

Gone Nomad

On a Time Out
Sep 29, 2011
^
Do the oem calibrations have to be flashed to an ECM and then read from the ECM using EFILive software & Flashscan, or is there a way to convert the oem calibration files directly into EFILive-compatible format?

It would be great to get a calibration for the LMM 300hp/520lb-ft Kodiak LRX in any format, but of course, I'd prefer a .tun file ;)

Gone Nomad

On a Time Out
Sep 29, 2011
You have to have either a actual vehicle or a bench harness to flash the TIS tune and then read it out.
I wondered if maybe somebody had a software file converter... but I figured that straightforward method was required.

If you get me a Kodiak VIN# I can get the file you want in a .tun format.

But I need a VIN#/Year
OK, That will work. I appreciate it.

What I'm going to have to do though is search until I find an LMM Kodiak with 300hp/520lb-ft and get the VIN for it.
It will be a hit or miss proposition, and it may take a while. Maybe the seller can tell me if the option code list has LYE or LRX on it (if I'm lucky).

I'm pretty sure the 330/620 version is far more common.
I wish I had pulled the medium duty order guides when I still could, because that would confirm that the LRX option was actually available 2008-2010.

I'll get back to you when I come up with something promising.
Otherwise I'd have to start pulling the VINs from every 2008-2010 LMM 4500/5500 I can find, and I'm sure you don't want to have to flash & read all those cals. unless I can narrow it down.

I guess the flip side of this exercise is that you could end up with the segments for just about every Kodiak/Topkick variation there is, for future use.

Thanks for your help!

In the meantime, I'm wondering if you have any idea why this table is so strange?

Last edited:

WarEagle

Aug 28, 2013
Im not tuning it I just have it. its still running around stock. and yeah 01's were a little different then anything else. I sure like the 01 Ally tune though.

Not trying to derail this thread any further, but what's so much better about the 01 Ally tune? I'm still running my stock 02 Ally tune...what kind of changes/improvements would I see by switching?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Not trying to derail this thread any further, but what's so much better about the 01 Ally tune? I'm still running my stock 02 Ally tune...what kind of changes/improvements would I see by switching?

It's dumb, that's the best description of it I have ever read. It doesn't adapt to every little change you make to your driving style every millisecond. Once the 01 adapts in, it tends to stay fairly consistent in how it shifts. The only real drawback to it I have found is the grade brakeing SUCKS with it. It never kicks in until about 2 miles past the point you needed it, after you've come down the 3rd or 4th grade. The 02 OS doesn't shift as consiststently, but at least it has GOOD grade braking that actually comes in when you need it.