LMM: Steering column removal

Lt. DMAX

Nov 4, 2016
Southern Tier of NY
So I have had a clunk in the steering column. All research said its either the intermediate shaft or the bearing on the bottom of the column. I found some play in the intermediate shaft up into the column so I purchased the bearing. I was disturbed to find ALL references and write ups on either issue to be for up to the 2007 model year, but assumed it would be the same. WRONG! ISS removal was accurate. I even got the bearing out with no issue in less than 5 minutes but that is likely because the internal bearing had broken into two pieces.

There is a shroud that is present on the bottom of the GMT900 steering column that PREVENTS the bearing from being slipped onto the shaft. I have looked for the process to remove the entire column and as before all info I find is for up to a 2007.

I see only 4 bolts holding it on, one cable connection and a plethora of electrical connections. I am very nervous about the airbag and or damaging all that electronics and am contemplating returning to the dealership for them to do the job.

Are there any videos or step by step processes out there that may help me?

Last edited by a moderator:

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Unhook your batteries before you unplug the airbag stuff. They should be yellow connectors. And just label your connectors to be certain. I replaced the clock spring in my truck and yes there are a lot of plugs lol.

Harlekw

Apr 22, 2022
So I have had a clunk in the steering column. All research said its either the intermediate shaft or the bearing on the bottom of the column. I found some play in the intermediate shaft up into the column so I purchased the bearing. I was disturbed to find ALL references and write ups on either issue to be for up to the 2007 model year, but assumed it would be the same. WRONG! ISS removal was accurate. I even got the bearing out with no issue in less than 5 minutes but that is likely because the internal bearing had broken into two pieces.

There is a shroud that is present on the bottom of the GMT900 steering column that PREVENTS the bearing from being slipped onto the shaft. I have looked for the process to remove the entire column and as before all info I find is for up to a 2007.

I see only 4 bolts holding it on, one cable connection and a plethora of electrical connections. I am very nervous about the airbag and or damaging all that electronics and am contemplating returning to the dealership for them to do the job.

Are there any videos or step by step processes out there that may help me?
I know it’s been a while since this forum. Like you, I just ran into same issue. Did you happen to find the best way to make it happen?