Steering box leaking and lack of options

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
My steering box started leaking at the pitman seal.

Im in Canada, only one offered has part number psc 27-7587 which on the internet points to a1 cardone and that's 300 $ plus 300$ core

Ive heard nothing but bad things about bad rebuild in most of the brands and all I can get is what I believe one of the worst..

Should I try it ? if it has no slack can I expect slack in a few months ?

Gm asking 900$ plus 100$ core

Last edited:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Should be the same. And it's hit or miss with most being a miss. Best bet is look for a low mileage box at a scrap yard.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
im very afraid...but can wait no longer. my box lasted 254 000 miles and I expect to keep truck for that much still. Im looking at keeping my core and changing the seal.

Im not looking forward to spending time swapping boxes and losing money on fluid ....

There is no scrapyard truck like this here, there's nothing left when they get in the scrapyard. Different market :s

"When rebuild means a painted core" comes to mind

If I end up getting a good one with no slack, is it safe to say it wont crap out? If the core charge was only 150$ It would be easier to keep my old core but 300 makes me think twice

Last edited:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Being in Canada complicates things. I have yet to find a "rebuilt" box here in the US that didn't completely suck (leak/slop/etc). I finally replaced it with a RedHead aftermarket box, and it has been going strong for 5k miles with no issues. That's more than I can say for any of the rebuilt ones before it.

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Being in Canada complicates things. I have yet to find a "rebuilt" box here in the US that didn't completely suck (leak/slop/etc). I finally replaced it with a RedHead aftermarket box, and it has been going strong for 5k miles with no issues. That's more than I can say for any of the rebuilt ones before it.

Yes, my original idea was to wait a little longer to get a redhead, as they specifically say they machine the worm gear and add bushings to the critical spots. Most rebuild only stipulate they 'pressure tested' it three times, pointless for slop.

My part guy knows me and agreed to warranty the rebuilt box for many many years... I guess in all those years ill get a good one.

It feels like the start of a fricking bad adventure....

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Yes, my original idea was to wait a little longer to get a redhead, as they specifically say they machine the worm gear and add bushings to the critical spots. Most rebuild only stipulate they 'pressure tested' it three times, pointless for slop.

My part guy knows me and agreed to warranty the rebuilt box for many many years... I guess in all those years ill get a good one.

It feels like the start of a fricking bad adventure....

I R ad a few threads of guys having issues with redhead boxes as well, I was going to go that route until I red those. I'm looking for a low mileage original instead.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
order the rebuilt one, put it on and see if there is slop. keep taking them back to your parts guy till you get a good one. Keep your core till you get a good one so you can drive the truck in the mean time. its alot of f-ing around and messy fluid but there are good ones to be found.

i have a napa rebuilt on my truck with 54k on it. all with my 37s. i had to go through 3 boxes to get a tight one but it drives like a brand new truck still.

Im not sure on how red heads warranty and customer service is. I know ill be going their route or sending mine to PSC when the time comes though. PSC has had some issues years ago but their customer service has always been great with me on issues.

kaylabryn

May 18, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Hey OregonDMAX my box is leaking or should I say gushing fluid with its fair share of slop. I have been contemplating a place in Scottsdale area I think its called Benchworks. Reading the local reviews and talking to them they seem like they know what they are doing. Probably be doing mine in the next few weeks I will report back if I go with them. Unless you have heard something bad or questionable?? If they end up being any good maybe they would ship???

Mike

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Im not sure on how red heads warranty and customer service is. I know ill be going their route or sending mine to PSC when the time comes though. PSC has had some issues years ago but their customer service has always been great with me on issues.

Yes, Ill keep my original. My part guy doesnt charge me the rebuilt until I bring back the other. Some changes in the law here make it so you lose the tax value of the core if you bring it after buying the new one. And being the taxes are 15% total, it's a fair share.

Funny thing about PSC, the part number is PSC 27-7587, but my parts guy said it's more likely coincidence. I hope he's wrong and it's really a PSC. Had the exchange rate been better, id have a redgear for barely 100$ more .
I can't buy rockauto, ends up same price with the shipping both ways, and if bad im screwed.

It's the worst kind of bad parts, you'd think that old design would be mastered by the rebuilders today.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
order the rebuilt one, put it on and see if there is slop. keep taking them back to your parts guy till you get a good one. Keep your core till you get a good one so you can drive the truck in the mean time. its alot of f-ing around and messy fluid but there are good ones to be found.

i have a napa rebuilt on my truck with 54k on it. all with my 37s. i had to go through 3 boxes to get a tight one but it drives like a brand new truck still.

This. Bosses hate when gearbox jobs come in. Sucks having to pay a guy to do the job 2 or 3 times before the truck even leaves. I started on an lly today, we'll see how many times I'm redoing it before it feels decent and doesn't leak.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Hey OregonDMAX my box is leaking or should I say gushing fluid with its fair share of slop. I have been contemplating a place in Scottsdale area I think its called Benchworks. Reading the local reviews and talking to them they seem like they know what they are doing. Probably be doing mine in the next few weeks I will report back if I go with them. Unless you have heard something bad or questionable?? If they end up being any good maybe they would ship???

Mike

I was actually referred to them when I was in the market for having the steering gear on my 57 Chevy rebuilt. I talked to them and they seem pretty legit I'm going to give them a try.

For my truck though I might try a junkyard box and then maybe have them look at it.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona

Mike

I was actually referred to them when I was in the market for having the steering gear on my 57 Chevy rebuilt. I talked to them and they seem pretty legit I'm going to give them a try.

For my truck though I might try a junkyard box and then maybe have them look at it.

Small well organized shop he has been in the same location for years. I have a pump and gear in my work truck going on 6 years now. Kinda hard to find, one driveway leading to his shop and a trailer repair shop. I have a 100,000 mile gear in my garage waiting to bring to him, paid $50.00 for the gear off of craigslist with no leaks. At some point I will have to bring my Hein-Werner floor jack to him...

Benchworksteering.com

Last edited:

carl.swoyer

Jan 31, 2016
I put Lucas stop leak in, not even the whole bottle and it stopped leaking. But I did have to replace the column bearing (2nd time) and the intermediate shaft (5th time)

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-198000 miles !

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
I put Lucas stop leak in, not even the whole bottle and it stopped leaking. But I did have to replace the column bearing (2nd time) and the intermediate shaft (5th time)
You should install a grease fitting in your intermediate shaft, so you can grease it often and it'd help last longer.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
All reman boxes are junk. I put a red head on mine last year and its been holding up stronger than any reman boxes. 15k miles with alot of abuse and still holding strong, no slop or any signs of oil weep. I'd say redhead corrected their issues.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
Got an oem gm replacement installed by the dealer 2 years ago and its horrible. I would just stick with your leaking stock one.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I have a truck absolutely kicking my ass. Started out just needing a gearbox because of a leak. Chased my ass all day on it today. Nothing but problems since. Steering assist sucks and brakes aren't right either. Wish I'd never attempted this job

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk