Steering Box for Quadrasteer Suburban

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I have a 2003 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (w/a LB7) and the steering box input shaft seal started leaking. The box still feels tight, just leaky.

I believe the part number is 19330624, and it appears that box is unique to the Suburban 2500 platform (including Yukon XL 2500, H2, and Avalance). Takes 2.75 turns of the steering wheel to go from lock to lock, but I don't know if it is constant or variable ratio. It appears only reman boxes are avaliable, which I am leery of.

Since the front of the Suburban is now a lot heavier with the diesel, I think the truck box might last better, assuming it has the same ratio and bolts up. My stock box is long gone on the truck, so I can't count turns. I have the bigger PSC box and it is 2.5 turns lock-to-lock, so (assuming it even bolts up) I can't use that with the Quadrasteer. I am worried it will cause the rear end to steer too little and lose the epic turning performance I have come to know and love.

What would you guys do, try and get a seal kit and see if that fixes the leak, or swap it out for a Red Head or similar reman?

Anyone ever change steering ratios on a Quadrasteer vehicle before?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I’d just get a seal kit. I’ve re-sealed enough boxes now, I wouldn’t fret it.

Also, isn’t the rear steering based of steering wheel sensor and not the front hydraulics? If you did a 2.5 turn box in comparison to the stock 2.75, I’d think you’d have a touch less rear steer than before due to less steering rotations on the steering wheel sensor

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Correct, the rear steer is based on the steering wheel angle sensor, so I would lose some rear steering angle. I guess I can hook up my Tech2 and see how much front steer angle I need to max out the rear steer (12° IIRC). If it maxes out before full lock, then I might not lose any meaningful rear steer.

GM discontinued one of the seals in the box, so I will need to research where to buy a seal kit for this box.