Starting an Old Diesel up,What to use?

2003Duramaxlb7

May 4, 2014
Pensacola,FL
Alright at work we have an older Lull Probably 90's model, with I think the John Deere motor in it.. She's a bit of a pain sometimes to start but usually I can start it.. Charged the battery up and have a full tank of Diesel, Prime it up and nothing.. I got it started for about 10 seconds the other day before charging the battery good.. But it died, I know starting fluid is bad for diesels.. What can i Spray down the intake to hopefully get it going?
thanks

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Dip a shop rag in gasoline, ring it out and hold it over the intake while someone cranks it. I had to crank a 6.2 diesel once and this worked. Starting fluid isn't an option for 6.2's

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Is the injection system good?
I'm Wondering why it's dying?
As long as it has a fuel supply it shouldn't die...

Just thinking out loud here...
Maybe it's a sign of an underlying issue

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
If its anything like that old Lull rental we had for a minute it's just tired. Ours had more blow by than there was coming out of the exhaust, fuel lines was full of junk, I used ether to start it, but I didn't have a dime in it and don't think it could have been hurt much more. Those old John deere's don't have glow plugs IIRC, if this one did they and the light didn't work so ether couldn't hurt it.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
What Jason said good work dude:thumb:

Also why the hell is everyone scared of starting fluid? If used properly its like magic in a spray can;) Its not to be used with glowplugs or heating grids for obvious reasons. So unhook there power source so they can't turn on...

I'll give you all a little crash course in the use of starting fluid.
1. Never just spray it into the air filter. It takes so much to saturate the filter and get through that once it does hold on the engines going for a ride.
2. Always spray while cranking, only hit it with short blasts just enough to get it started or keep it running until it will on it's own.
3. Keep the can warm it atomizes better when it's warm & pees when it's cold or frozen.

Caterpillar has start aid injection systems on some engines. The ecm controls how much it gives the engine.

So just be smart with it and don't drowned the dam thing, key is to not us so much that it pools:thumb:

Akers

Jun 20, 2014
Our old John Deere tractor we had for FFA in high school had an ether button. Neatest thing I'd even seen. Had screw on cans of ether and a nozzle in the intake and an electronic valve. Press the button and away she went. I don't think you can get the cans for them any more though. It most certainly did not have glow plugs.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I agree using either properly and it won't hurt anything, it's just so easy to use it the wrong way I always recommend a gas soaked rag, hard to mes that up unless you let go of the rag when it cranks LOL!

2003Duramaxlb7

May 4, 2014
Pensacola,FL
Lol at letting go of the rag when it cranks.. When she has'nt been ran,in awhile (3-6 weeks) she's a pain to start.. Its like she looses prime and, I cant get it to prime back up with the primer lever on the side of the motor.. But after she starts and runs for abit, she's good and will start up any day... New fuel line a few years ago along with anew Fuel pump,its the mechanical type that bolts onto the side of the motor.. I just put about 20 gallons of fresh diesel in it,last week... As soon as I get a few mins I"m gonna give it atry of getting it running again.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I've use either a lot growing up on a farm and doing construction. While using it isn't really bad it's a last resort for me. Nothing worse then having an Either Baby that won't start below 70* without it.

Sent from my iPhone digging a ditch near you.

2003Duramaxlb7

May 4, 2014
Pensacola,FL
Ya, It seems she just does'nt want to run right now... Got it fired up with some ether,but wont stay running... Also the starter seems like its going out, I felt it after turning it over afew times,maybe 10 secs at the most each time.. It was burning up, Im sure its not going to be cheap for a rebuild or reman'd