spraying the outside of the intercooler

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
I have seen a lot of trucks in Ohio building a screen in front of their air to air intercooler and dumping ice up against it before a pull. Can't see how it could really help but who knows.

No spray bars with Co2 or NOS is allowed in pulling.

No track I know of is gonna let you drag race spraying water or letting ice drop on the track.

Killerbee

Got Honey?
I was thinking about running the same mister as we use on my patio

Very little flow rate from these. Not enough to lower the ambient temp by much because of the high air flow rate. Use the largest patio misters you can find, like a .2mm, or similar, and use about 10 of them on a snaked tube. Point them forward, away from the stack for the best evap time and distribution. The fan will suck it back. Get 200 psi behind them with 5-10 gpm.

Even then, if your RH is high, don't expect much. The lower the humidity, the better the improvement.

A few thoughts to think about.

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky
I havnt got to strap it down and see how much it helps or not but on my water/meth I put a gallon in the cooler and let it get ice cold because the methanal in the water will not let it freeze and I picked up 3 10th of a second at the drag strip I went from 12.6 12.5 passes to 12.4 12.3 passes

And we use a air to water intercooler on my friends 12v but at wide open throttle the pump kicks out alot of water which would pour on the track so we cant use it unless we sled pull

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Those "interfreezers" look like they are the same concept that Simon mentioned earlier in this thread...a cooling coil inside the flow tube. If a person could get this idea to work cheaply enough it could be a worthwhile addition to the front mounted CAC IMO.

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Very little flow rate from these. Not enough to lower the ambient temp by much because of the high air flow rate. Use the largest patio misters you can find, like a .2mm, or similar, and use about 10 of them on a snaked tube. Point them forward, away from the stack for the best evap time and distribution. The fan will suck it back. Get 200 psi behind them with 5-10 gpm.

Even then, if your RH is high, don't expect much. The lower the humidity, the better the improvement.

A few thoughts to think about.

Spraying a mist off cold water on the Stock IC works suprising well. I was shocked at how well it worked. Not something I would do at the drag strip but for pulling. Setup was simple. Two cooling mist pumps spraying through a DEI spray bar.

Killerbee

Got Honey?
I agree it is effective. Just not with the op's suggested setup, and towing goals. He is going to have 5 times the ambient airflow through the fins at 60 mph, as someone who is pulling. Because of that alone, it is difficult to get what he needs. Towing can require "minutes" of high volume spray, sometimes 10 or 20 minutes, at high volume to account for the heat soak effects of those durations. Then if the fan comes on, add another 50% flow rate for the higher air flow.

IMHO, external spraying for this application is impractical, unless you have a free unlimited supply of de-ionized or RO water.

FWIW, the temp of the water has negligible significance. Evaporation rate is where 98% of the thermal capacity is.

I thought I would add, if this is for towing, spray internally. Much more effective for any on-road goal. And you will use far less water for the same result. All internal water evaporation goes to removing heat, as long as it can be 100% evaporated, which is an easy task with pre-compressor atomization.