Spin on filter?

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
My local GM dealer sells the little ally spin on filter for $39.00 + 6% sales tax. My local Advanced auto parts sell a filter for $10.99 + tax.

My question is, is the money saved worth it with the advanced filter or should i keep buying the big $$$ filter? I have no problem spending the $$ for the filter but if the 10 dollar one works just as good why not use it.

Thanx for any input on this, the truck will be due for one soon so i thought i would ask befor i bought!!

Later
Caleb

Lennart

Not from here !
Aug 10, 2006
Detmold, Germany
Check your local Allison dealer. He should be able to sell the original Allison filter for $10-$12.....IIRC.
Hey, this even worked for me over here in Germany where Allison is a rare breed!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I almost laughed in the GM parts guys' face when he told me 40 bucks for a spin on.

Its the same darn filter that I get at the local allison dealer for 7 bucks. :)

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
I almost laughed in the GM parts guys' face when he told me 40 bucks for a spin on.

Its the same darn filter that I get at the local allison dealer for 7 bucks. :)

Yeah, when we bought the truck it had 17k on it so when we picked it up i went straight to the parts dept and got one to put on when we got it home . I made the guy double check the price, i thought no way dose that little thing cost $40.00, thats all the more the fuel filter cost and its 5 times what that itty bitty ally filter is!!!!!!

02freighttrain

Team Salad Bartender
Aug 13, 2006
sootville, Fl
I was running the NAPA Golds for a long time on the stock tranny. I now get the Ally one's from a guy in Texas, 10 for $95.00. I'll see if I can find his info and post it.

Last edited:

02freighttrain

Team Salad Bartender
Aug 13, 2006
sootville, Fl
I found the guy's info and emailed him, he responded right away and said he has a lot of them. I sent a reply and asked him about a bulk purchase. If anyone is interested, Let me know. He probably needs you to buy a few to make it worth his while. Don't want to post his email address yet until he gives me the ok.