Sonnax E-Shift valve bore sizing tool and spring

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
As I just recently fixed my own stuck E-valve, I thought it would be helpful to list the specific PNs for the Sonnax bore sizing tool and replacement spring. The spring is stiffer and can only help this issue of the E valve sticking. You will need a slide hammer to use the tool. It did not take long to achieve the needed results. It took me 15 min of use to true the bore. Periodically the tool was removed to spray off debris with brake clean. The tool was lubricated with ATF prior to insertion. Valve body was cleaned very well prior to replacement back on the trans. All valve body bolts torqued to 9ftlbs (thanks LB7Dudamax01). Thanks to Mike L for insight and direction on this issue! Thanks to ATS for reimbursing me for the tool! The tool and spring were purchased through my local Transstar distributor for about 208 bucks. I'm sure some of you guys can get it cheaper as I didn't have an account. If anybody needs this tool I'm happy to lend it provided a deposit is given to insure if its broken or damaged I'm covered.

null_zps436a7034.png

null_zps3ab5ce8b.jpg

null_zps94203c46.jpg

Last edited:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I found personally in my own the the stiffer spring didn't do anything, still have it out in my tool box(took it out after a few miles when I went back in to do some other work). The SONNAX tool will do the job to re round the bore, but doesn't work well if you have one that is undersized. I spent over 2 hours on one with this tool one day because I needed a reamer, not a re sizer. I found that WD-40 works well for a lubricant when using it(prevents galling, but still allows it to move the metal around). After you are done also make sure and go back through with a sharp pick and make sure there are no pieces of aluminum pushed up around the bores waiting to come loose in a few miles. Had this happen on mine as it pushed out a ridge that broke loose after a few miles.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I found personally in my own the the stiffer spring didn't do anything, still have it out in my tool box(took it out after a few miles when I went back in to do some other work). The SONNAX tool will do the job to re round the bore, but doesn't work well if you have one that is undersized. I spent over 2 hours on one with this tool one day because I needed a reamer, not a re sizer. I found that WD-40 works well for a lubricant when using it(prevents galling, but still allows it to move the metal around). After you are done also make sure and go back through with a sharp pick and make sure there are no pieces of aluminum pushed up around the bores waiting to come loose in a few miles. Had this happen on mine as it pushed out a ridge that broke loose after a few miles.

Thanks for your input Ferm. I've got about 30 miles on mine since I used the tool. So far so good and my tranny is shifting nicely. I'm no expert on this stuff just wanted to share the fix for the problem I had. Mike was right as usual.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Fortunately, we haven't found a need for a special tool yet, but it has its place. Regardless of if its the E shift valve or a trim valve or any other, they are a pain in the d*ck.

03badmaxxx

Ghost Element
Mar 1, 2012
Mesa,AZ
www.facebook.com

http://www.tapmagic.com/

i like this a little better than Wd-40 but whatever gets the job done!

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Before I fixed mine I read a lot of horror stories of guys having to work for hours with it. I guess I was lucky as it took me 15 min. Are you using the slide hammer? Don't be afraid to get cowboy with it. Can't be a fairy