Info: Something I've noticed

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
No he said because it is water cooled you don't have to let it cool down at all, there's no proof to support that as fact. It certainly doesn't hurt to let shit cool down a little regardless if it's water cooled or not, I think it's safe to say everyone agrees 400* egt and below is a safe number.

ah i got ya. there is proof out there a water cooled turbo will put up to abuse much longer than a strictly oil supplied one but i have not seen where it says it will stop oil cooking issues. lessen the chance im sure though

Damn it that that explains everything...lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

:roflmao:

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
Warm up is usually a few minutes and easy throttle unless it's really cold

But anymore she sits in the garage which is normally 20-30 degrees warmer than the exterior temp anyways.

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I don't bother, whenever I'm at my destination, I turn it off. Engineering, metallurgy and oils have come a long ways in the last 20 years, it'll be fine. Plus, I find it weird to allow a vehicle to dictate how long I stay in it, before turning it off or wasting $$ idling it.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Plus, I find it weird to allow a vehicle to dictate how long I stay in it, before turning it off or wasting $$ idling it.

Lol Let's see properly taking care of a vehical and posibly burning a fraction of a cent of fuel vs a $2500 turbo plus install. Yep you better not let your vehicle dictate anything to you. Heck why even change the oil and filters.

77cruiser

Apr 7, 2011
Frost Bite Falls
Lol Let's see properly taking care of a vehical and posibly burning a fraction of a cent of fuel vs a $2500 turbo plus install. Yep you better not let your vehicle dictate anything to you. Heck why even change the oil and filters.

I'd agree with this.

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX

Let's see, 2 minutes "cooling down" x 300 days a year = 600 minutes x 11 years of duramax ownership = 110 hours I would have pissed away, sitting in a truck, waiting for it to cool down.
That's time spent otherwise working, which I do during the day; when I am driving my truck. That would pay for several turbos over again in the course of a year, at my rates and residuals I manage (Let me remind you, I've never had a major failure; outside of lb7 injectors).
Let's not get into the debate of the amount of fuel that would have been wasted away, idling over that time period. Money is money, but there's a reason some people have it as a tool, and others work their lives away for it.

Also, never in my post did I mention anything about neglecting the maintenance of my vehicles.

So you're correct. As much as I enjoy the hobby of my trucks, I will not allow it to dictate how I treat it or drive it; because, it is a vehicle, not my life.

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
I haul my boat regularly (16,000lbs) if I happen to be working the truck hard which I do.... I will leave the truck run for a min. But I just hit the remote starter button and then take the key out. The turn it off when I’m ready. But I also think just a min of regular driving is enough cool down time. On top of that I usually have to gather my shit before I get out of the truck. Then I shut her down. Plenty of time

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
I used to have to wait for cool down but now I just drive the last little bit easy and shutter down usually 400 degrees . On warm up to understand what happens take a accetalyne torch and cut a thin strip of steel and watch it warp and then imagine the inside of your cylinder making a thousand degrees and your block and crank and oil 15 degrees or whatever ambient temp is. That high cylinder temp makes all of the material in your engine expand at a terrific rate. Once everything has stabilized the high cylinder temp isn't an issue. Your engine needs a gradual temperature transition for component longevity. Just my uneducated opinion. Someone with some actual schooling chime in here.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Let's see, 2 minutes "cooling down" x 300 days a year = 600 minutes x 11 years of duramax ownership = 110 hours I would have pissed away, sitting in a truck, waiting for it to cool down.
That's time spent otherwise working, which I do during the day; when I am driving my truck. That would pay for several turbos over again in the course of a year, at my rates and residuals I manage (Let me remind you, I've never had a major failure; outside of lb7 injectors).
Let's not get into the debate of the amount of fuel that would have been wasted away, idling over that time period. Money is money, but there's a reason some people have it as a tool, and others work their lives away for it.

Also, never in my post did I mention anything about neglecting the maintenance of my vehicles.

So you're correct. As much as I enjoy the hobby of my trucks, I will not allow it to dictate how I treat it or drive it; because, it is a vehicle, not my life.

Someone piss in your Cheerios or what? Did you read any posts? No body said it had to cool down every time you drive it. That's the point of this thread.

Its aparent your in a bad mood so I just leave this other little tidbit of info for you and be done here. 110 hrs of idling is only about a tank of fuel. So in 11 years no loss there.