Info: Something I've noticed

77cruiser

Apr 7, 2011
Frost Bite Falls
I've noticed a lot of people pull in after running down the Interstate pulling a big trailer & just turn it off like a gasser.
I'd guess they're flirting with turbo failure down the road.
How many give it a few minutes to cool down?

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
I sure do ! I'm sure most of the tuner guys are smart enough to do the same, regular driving I let it cool off at idle three minutes

Pulling a heavy load off the highway let it cool off 5 to 10 minutes
And I always hit the idle switch when I let mine cool down so the cylinders don't get washed out overtime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
I don't worry about it with my new truck but on my lml with fixed vane charger I tried to let it cool before shut down..

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
I have a turbo timer that's hooked up to my cts. I can set it for a certain time or a certain egt temp.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
By the time I’m coming to a stop anywhere, even a rest stop, the egts have dropped to 350-400* and it ain’t an issue. If I leave it running, it’s to keep the dog cool in the truck lol.

Ihi was rebuilt about 20k ago and Russ said he didn’t see anything worrying. 215k on the truck now. So I am “that guy” but it’s not a problem if gauges show things are already cool

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
By the time I’m coming to a stop anywhere, even a rest stop, the egts have dropped to 350-400* and it ain’t an issue. If I leave it running, it’s to keep the dog cool in the truck lol.

Ihi was rebuilt about 20k ago and Russ said he didn’t see anything worrying. 215k on the truck now. So I am “that guy” but it’s not a problem if gauges show things are already cool

Same here.

By the time I'm ready to get out and shut it off the egts are usually below 400 anyways

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Same here. About 10 seconds is enough.

I usually let it warm up a little bit then keep it under 2k until it’s warmed up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I've noticed a lot of people pull in after running down the Interstate pulling a big trailer & just turn it off like a gasser.
I'd guess they're flirting with turbo failure down the road.
How many give it a few minutes to cool down?
Water cooled turbos don’t need cool down time to prevent oil coking.

The real question is who let's there trucks warm up:D

I have to in the winter. Not having a vvt makes getting up to temp take longer than normal.

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
My LMM with a stock turbo I turn it off when I stop (if it was that big of an issue GM would have put a turbo timer in from factory). My LB7 with the 69sxe, by the time I stop it's at 400 like everyone else has said. I let the LMM idle for about 2-3 min then get in it and drive when it's cold out.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The real question is who let's there trucks warm up:D

if its 60* or colder out, you are damn right but just cause i want the heater going. 60* is cold for an arizonian :roflmao::roflmao:

I take it 400 deg. exhaust temp is a good number.
Is the turbo on a LB7 water cooled?

400* and cooler is a good number to go by. generally idle is around 300-350* at the coolest no matter how long it idles. yes, the stock IHI is water cooled, all factory GM duramax turbos are water cooled.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Unless you just got done running the truck very hard and shut it down your not going to cook the oil. I don't know that I trust the EGR gauge to go by. The turbo could easily be hotter.

We have a lot of idiots that work for us and they shut down hot equipment all the time. They don't even wait for the engine to idle down. So it going from hot and WOT to off and we're not having turbo issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Unless you just got done running the truck very hard and shut it down your not going to cook the oil. I don't know that I trust the EGR gauge to go by. The turbo could easily be hotter.

We have a lot of idiots that work for us and they shut down hot equipment all the time. They don't even wait for the engine to idle down. So it going from hot and WOT to off and we're not having turbo issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

i wouldnt trust an EGR gauge either. EPA designed those and they are crooked as hell :D

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
:confused::confused: hes agreeing with you sean

No he said because it is water cooled you don't have to let it cool down at all, there's no proof to support that as fact. It certainly doesn't hurt to let shit cool down a little regardless if it's water cooled or not, I think it's safe to say everyone agrees 400* egt and below is a safe number.