Smokes on start up below 65

burnsey94

Dec 6, 2019
I bought a southern truck and moved up north. Any time it gets below 65 until the truck warms up it’s smokes blueish. Balance rates look good besides cylinder 4. Balance rates do not change no matter what injector I put in that cylinder. Since I’ve moved up north the heads have been rebuilt, all 8 injectors have been replaced with new it has new Mahle head gaskets and ARP head studs. I’ve checked wiring. Replaced FPR and FICM. I am at a loss. I’m probably missing some stuff that we have checked. Glow plugs are working as well. Any ideas?

burnsey94

Dec 6, 2019
It doesn’t smell like oil at all or have any blow by that I can see. If you smell it it smells like raw fuel like an injector is dumping fuel. I’ll try and get a picture of the color of the smoke tomorrow

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Time for compression test and/or leakdown.

It's not a 6.0 or 7.3. Unless you're talking sub-zero or over-sized injectors it shouldn't smoke much at all if it's right. Been in the 30s here every morning this week and even with glow plugs disabled I have no haze from my lb7. Little puff on startup and clean after 2 or 3 seconds.

If it is not consuming oil and the issue started after heads were done my money is on improperly adjusted valves causing low compression.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

burnsey94

Dec 6, 2019
it was smoking a lot worse before so we started eliminating things and that’s when I had all the injectors and head work done. With it going away after it warming up I’m gonna have the guy that did the heads check the valves out again and see. And run another compression test to see where I’m at and go from there.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Could have a short rod too. I saw that on an lb7 that hydrolocked due to a bad injector. With new injectors it ran smooth but smoked heavy on startup.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk