Smoke under 1/4 throttle/take off

Chilly

Dec 4, 2018
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but starting to think that maybe my set up is wrong for what I am trying to achieve.

I've been battling trying to make my truck run clean under 1/4 throttle or simply taking off from a light. I am on my 15th revision with a known tuner and starting to think its more of my set up.. Wanted some opinions on whether you think my truck should be able to run clean under 1/4 throttle or low boost conditions. No matter how hard I try once the engine is warm we cannot seem to clear up that "puff" of smoke leaving lights. It seems to be ALOT better during the cooler mornings and when the engine is cold.

Set up:
- Oval pistons at 16.5CR with valve cut outs (0.005-0.007 protrusion, running C gasket)
- Waglers stage 1 cam and ported heads
- S&S 100 over injectors
- Suncoast 1058 converter
- Danville 68/68 over a S483
- I live at 3500' elevation..

I did a fair amount of research and thought I would be safe running a some what clean tune under mild throttle conditions with this set up. Am I wrong? How clean of a tune are others getting with 100 over injectors? I wouldn't consider Danvilles STG2R 68mm a large turbo, but maybe I am wrong again.
Truck response is decent and cleans out nice when boost comes on.

Next step is to go down a size in injectors. Thoughts?

Thanks

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
i just installed that cam in my truck that has 68s2r and 60 overs and picked up a bunch of smoke everywhere. cam was the only change.

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
So im not a pimple on anyone's ass, but I've got 80% lmm injectors that I've battled to clean up.

Things that really helped me:

-Pilot timing was HUGE! I reduced my pilot timing, and increased my quantity slowly and found it was night and day.

- fuel pressure helped (increasing) but it helped to an extent.

-maf limiting - the other major adjustment I used as does others have.

I've driven a 68stg2r. That thing lights quick enough that you should get it pretty clean. However, datalogs are only going to help your tuner so much. Here is what YOU can do to help your tuner:

When you take off you need to note some things for your tuner. Get maf up on your insight...Hopefully you have one. Do a take off and once you see smoke, note what your maf readout is at that time. Say initially you have no smoke, and shortly after it begins to smoke on a hard takeoff, if the maf reading is say 95 tell your tuner! He can pull up your maf scaling, decrease that value and rescale it up and down to reduce smoke. Without that info it makes your tuner guess where the problem is.

Sorry for the long post. Hope it makes sense. Your tuner can't see soot through your datalogs. Its going to take YOI giving good accurate info to really speed that process up.